Keg set up in Ontario

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveo_55

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking for advice on getting a set up in Ontario. Where should I be going for the best deals? I'm thinking about picking up 2 cornies and making a kegerator set up.

I got my cornies at princess auto for $24, got my lines and fittings there too! Got my gas, $91 taxes in from praxair! Got my reg of ebay for $60 new!! On my fith batch on the 5lb tank and there is still enough gas for another one (i think)? By the way Kegging is a bad idea,: I have been hammered every other day since I hooked this thing up! I wish I cared as much about my job as I do about my beer fridge!

No i don't! I'm sorry! I love you ugly Green fridge!! (phew that was close)!!

I'm in Cambridge, ON which is about an hour west of Toronto

Princess auto for cornies? I may have to check that out. You are saying you used Praxair, are you using nirtrogen rather than CO2?

Hi, I am also in Cambridge.

For my setup, I purchased a bar fridge from Canadian Tire that just fits 2 kegs and a 10lb C02 after some modifications. (it was a salton model, more info: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/salton-kegerator-conversion-45450/#post721097)

I purchased my kegs via Ebay and a group buy organized by the Southern Ontario Brewers group last fall. There has been some at Princess auto, but the Kitchener store was sold out last I heard.

All the other bits and pieces I purchased from Simgo in Mississauga (tank, regulator, dual tap tower, etc).

Check kijiji often.....gotta be quick with responses though, i find this stuff doesn't last long. Few deals i've got:

1X 20lb aluminum CO2 tank full, 1x20lb steel CO2 tank full, 3X corny kegs, 1 brand new regulator, gas line and liquid line with picnic tap(all new).....all for $150

Another snag i found.....20lb CO2 tank, regulator, tap, shank, lines, coupler for sanke kegs and a few small things.......all for $30 bucks.

I picked up some kegs last fall with the SOB group buy as well, and a few more from PA......but keep an eye on kijiji....you just gotta be patient.

Steveo
Last I checked Princess Auto in London still had 5 corny kegs. I'll be there friday if you want me to check stock.
But seriously its not a good idea to start kegging. I just started my second keg. This stuff is way better then the molson's i usually buy,far to handy,i'm loosing privacy from thirsty neighbours (was a mistake giving them a taste), cheaper because I got lucky and only spent $125.00 on everything i needed and I know its going to get me in trouble yet.
Good luck and enjoy. Im enjoying well, lets just say not my first for the night.
HAPPY CANADA DAY

So what are the condition of the cornies at princess auto? do they need new seals or any other new parts?

Moose, if you don't mind checking those out, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Its hit and miss with the condition of the PA ones.....some look almost new, some have a few small dents, some have larger dents....No way of knowing they hold air unless they're charged with CO2.....and for assurance, most people replace the seals anyways so there's no pop taste. Its cheap assurance... :)

Problem now with PA is they're pretty much run out of kegs......so get em while they last...they're going fast.

Will be going past PA tommorrow. The kegs they had looked like all used kegs. They were not sealed. The price was $25.00. There is a wine place 5 minutes away selling the identical kegs in the same shape for $69.00. I can check the availability morrow if your still interested.

I friend of mine went and checked the london store less than an hour ago and they said they were all sold out. I also phone the mississauga store and got the same response. Moose, if they do have them can you let me know.
Thanks,
Cal

Will keep my eyes open for them. If I go to wine store tommorrow I will see if I can get then to drop the price any.

So I bought some guys whole set up the other day. I'm pretty sure I got a good deal as I was thinking of buying all the components and they were seeming to add up pretty quickly.
I'll post some pictures once I get it set up, but for $350 I got:
A freezer converted with a single chrome tower/tap and drip tray
a dual gauge micro matic regulator
gas and beer lines
5# Aluminum CO2 tank (1/2 full)
Draught line cleaning kit with a 3/4 bottle full of cleaner
sanke connector
2 corny quick connects
2 cornies with extra seals
seal lubricant

Does anyone know if you can find Cornies at Princess Auto still, or whether the Southern Ontario Brewers are making a bulk buy any time soon?

Does anyone know if you can find Cornies at Princess Auto still, or whether the Southern Ontario Brewers are making a bulk buy any time soon?

none left at princess auto as far as i know. As for the SOB, its best to contact via mailing list.

if you're not part of it yet, join the canadian group on here, and post in there to see if anyone knows of any around. And keep your eye out on kijiji.. :mug:

Back