Kegged a batch but missed my FG by a bit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mergs

Reaction score
I just kegged a Brewer's Best Extract Kit Falconer's Flight Extra IPA. The FG target was 1.016 - 1.019 but I got a 1.021. (Total was 7 days in primary bucket, 7 days in secondary carboy)

I could put it in the fridge and a carb it, but I was wondering if it makes any sense to let the keg sit for 2-3 days are temp of 65F or so and let any residual yeast ferment off a point or 2?

This is the 2nd batch of this kit I've done and the first one I was also a bit high, maybe 22 or 24 and the beer came out very good. So I am good with just drinking it as is. But if some experts here think it would be best to let it ferment in the keg, I'm game to try.

I will be hard to leave it sit for a few days. Its already tasty, and its flat and room temp :)

If you already racked off the yeast to secondary, I wouldn't expect your FG to change much unless you took a good amount of yeast with it, and the carboy looks cloudy.

Next time leave it in primary for 2-3 weeks, one week primary is too little time to allow the yeast to clean up after themselves and drop the FG that extra point.

But when using extract, 1.020 is kind of a magic number that in my experience is pretty common for an extract terminal gravity.

Like I said let it sit in the primary longer next time I would suggest 3 weeks, then rack straight to keg or bottling bucket, you may get that extra point or two you are looking for, but to reiterate, a terminal gravity for extract (in my experience) is around 1.020.

If you already racked off the yeast to secondary, I wouldn't expect your FG to change much unless you took a good amount of yeast with it, and the carboy looks cloudy.

Next time leave it in primary for 2-3 weeks, one week primary is too little time to allow the yeast to clean up after themselves and drop the FG that extra point.

But when using extract, 1.020 is kind of a magic number that in my experience is pretty common for an extract terminal gravity.

Like I said let it sit in the primary longer next time I would suggest 3 weeks, then rack straight to keg or bottling bucket, you may get that extra point or two you are looking for, but to reiterate, a terminal gravity for extract (in my experience) is around 1.020.

OK, super... thanks for the advice.

Follow-up:

I kegged it (and based on what I'm hearing, probably prematurely) and pressurized overnight in the fridge. I took a sample this am and its got a bitter finish off taste that I don't like (yes, its an IPA-and I love high IBU IPAs-but I did this one ~2 months ago and I don't remember this bitter finish).

I think I might have hit a 73-74 fermentation temp once for a few hours (during a hot spell) and then I moved to a colder spot in the house and got it down to 68-72 range over the course of 2 weeks. I believe I had my sanitation dialed.

After reading a bunch of "Did i ruin my beer" threads it sounds like my beer might be a little green, or may just need time to mellow while conditioning in the keg. Like was said above, not really trying to hit my FG target anymore, but more trying to let the beer age-out any off taste.

So I took it out of the fridge and plan to keep it at room temp (mid-60s) for a week and take another small sample. Does anyone think leaving at mid 60s for a week is a silly notion? Would it also mellow in the fridge?

Yes, I'm going to relax and forget about it for now and let time work its magic :)

Latest posts

Back