Keggle + Banjo Burner = unstable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beere

Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My keggle fits on my banjo burner OK but if it gets off-center at all it will slide off. I haven't used the banjo burner yet b/c of this. I guess the safest thing to do is to get some angle iron welded onto the banjo burner but wanted to ask if anyone else has a simple solution?

John Beere said:
My keggle fits on my banjo burner OK but if it gets off-center at all it will slide off. I haven't used the banjo burner yet b/c of this. I guess the safest thing to do is to get some angle iron welded onto the banjo burner but wanted to ask if anyone else has a simple solution?

Charcoal grill grate. I have the same problem with my turkey fryer, and the grate made it stable. You may need to cut a notch if one's not already there, for the center vertical bar under the grate.

Don't bump into the eighty-pound pot of scalding, boiling wort :D

You don't have any clearance, but once it's on there, it's not going anywhere. It's very solid and because it's low, the center of gravity is very low.

Thanks... never thought about a grate. That would work out well.

Yeah, yeah... just don't bump it! heh

Around my house, that is a guaranteed disaster. :)

I had to set up a deal like this to make mine stable enough to hold the kettle:

7985-P1000826.jpg

It's just some angle iron bolted to the burner.

Cheers

Fear not. I'm at least 15 batches on mine and narry a budge. I did have to find a "sweet spot" though (to avoid slight rocking cuz of a bent keg) and simply marked the keg accordingly.

[YOUTUBE]4OcGY3bKkME[/YOUTUBE]

IndoorBrew_4.JPG

BierMuncher, thats exactly my setup... man that looks dangerous but I'm sure you are right about finding the sweet spot. Murphy's law is in effect around my house... I think I'll get a charcoal grate or a piece of expanded metal just to ease my mind.

John Beere said:
BierMuncher, thats exactly my setup... man that looks dangerous but I'm sure you are right about finding the sweet spot. Murphy's law is in effect around my house... I think I'll get a charcoal grate or a piece of expanded metal just to ease my mind.

Expanded metal? I wouldn't trust it. It's not designed to support a load of weight and withstand high temps for long periods of time. My grill grate has warped a big after a few uses, but it's still holding solid. I think mine's the 24" nickle alloy Weber grate.

I'm telling you, Angle Iron, just cut to length and bolt it to the burner, no problems.:cross:

and it's a Keg next to BM's Kegerator.:)

Cheers

ALso does it bother you that we call you BM?:drunk:

BierMuncher, how do you ventilate? Doing your burner activity in the basement? looks to entrap bad gasses? must work ok, your not dead.

John,

I have the same set up and I have to agree with the bird and muncher that even though it's a close fit it is stable once it's in place. So I would not let it stop me from brewing.

I use a scaffold and ran a chain thru one of the handles and around one of the cross bars on the scaffold in case it were to fall it would not spill much if any of the contents when I first started. Now that I brewed a few times and feel more secure I don't bother.

Having said that I think both the grate and bolting some angle iron on are fantastic ideas! And may try one or both of those ideas. I have also toyed with the idea of taking it to the weilding shop or weilding some additional material on it myself. It always better to be safe than sorry.

uuurang said:
BierMuncher, how do you ventilate? Doing your burner activity in the basement? looks to entrap bad gasses? must work ok, your not dead.

Notice the big fan in the window. I know a few ppl who do it this way, all still living with no long term effects long term effects.

;)

wop31 said:
...ALso does it bother you that we call you BM?:drunk:

:D

Nah. My friends call my Sh!the@d so what's the diff.

That box fan does pretty good at creating a cross current. I make sure to crack a window open upstairs and as soon as I turn on the fan, there's a definite "suction" created.

That thar is a water softener. We have well water where we live and it's hard on the appliances but makes great beer.

Once that keg is filled up with 12+ gallons, it's pert near impossible to budget it. Plus, one or two good burns on that banjo, and the paint was toast and a slight oxidation set in, making the surface very rough and non slippery.

Back