Kent Quick Disconnects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutchoven

Reaction score
I received an e-mail from Morebeer today ... apparently they're now selling Kent quick disconnects. Has anyone used these?

They're food safe and can handle temps to 250 degrees. One handed operation, quarter turn to lock. The price is right, too ... $2.85 - $3.60 each.

Looking at Kent's website, they also sell shutoff versions.

Anyone know the ID? I'm sure the barb fittings will have the same flow issues as the Camlock barbs, but the NPT versions look interesting.

Says they can handle up to 250°. I'd be concerned about using anything rated that low on, say, the output of a ball valve on a gas fired vessel...

Cheers!

Any trouble with those cap leaking on soda bottles? I've had different luck with different brand soda bottles, but these lids dont hold pressure like my (more expensive) carbonator cap. The threads always seem to leak. I might increase the pressure to 25psi in hopes the threads might tighten up better.

I've only used them a few times, but no issues at all. I've taken some beer on the road and also used it to force carb some of the last bit from the fermenter and neither time did it leak.

Might just be the specific bottles you're using.

The Coke 2 liters were the worst. Then I got some store brand seltzer that were better. What have you been using. Do you remove the remaining plastic collar that remains after the original cap comes off to help get a tighter seal?

Anybody got any further feedback on the Kent QD caps from Morebeer? I'm considering picking up a few, given the price differential with the carbinator caps, when they get them back in stock.

Do you guys bottle in plastic soda bottles?

Is it as simple as that? Just get some Shop Right (store brand) seltzer water bottles, and remove the collar, fill the bottle, and put the cap back on?

Or are there specific types of caps, and if so, can you please post a link.

I looked at the Kent disconnects and dont see which one to use.

I don't bottle in them, but I do take one out with me occasionally. I like the fact that I can pressurize the 2L bottle where a growler I can't. Also, a couple of weeks ago on a brew day I had kegged a Pliny clone earlier in the morning. I put about 1L of it in a 2L bottle, pressurized it, shook it like crazy and then let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours. When I was ready to taste it later in the day, the carbonation was perfect. I couldn't have done that with a growler.

Pulled the trigger on some of these as they are back in stock at morebeer. Planning on using them for transporting to others houses and small batch/leftover/advanced sample carbonation. Will post my thoughts once they are received.

Back