Kettle Big Enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZBeer

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have a newer setup that I am using, I do 2.5-3gal no sparge BIAB with a 5.5gal SS Brewtech kettle. This weekend I am doing a RIS, and it is my first big beer with this setup.

For 3 gal, I have just north of 11lbs of grains, and I am looking at 4.6gal of strike water. Think it'll fit? Or should I pull a 1/2 gallon or so, just in case in need to and use it for sparging if I don't have the space?

According to the very helpful Rackers.org “can I mash it” calculator your mash volume will be 5.48 gallons.

So I would say your kettle is not big enough.

You can either pull a gallon for a sparge, or just flood your kettle to the rim post mash and stir well prior to removing the bag.

No. Learn from us that have tried to save a couple bucks on a kettle, buy a kettle that is Min 2x the batch size. I bought an 8.5 gallon kettle because I thought saving $20 was worth it. It was not. I make 5 gallon batches and even holding back some water for "sparge" i'm still at the limits with larger beers.

If your goal is full volume BIAB, and there is even a chance that down the road you'll want to go full 5gallon, get a larger kettle.

Edit: too early in the morning, I read it as you were considering buying a kettle, not that you already have it. My Bad.

If you already have the setup, yes, you can hold some water back. Just know that it will affect your gravity if you haven't accounted for it right.

According to the very helpful Rackers.org “can I mash it” calculator your mash volume will be 5.48 gallons.

So I would say your kettle is not big enough.

You can either pull a gallon for a sparge, or just flood your kettle to the rim post mash and stir well prior to removing the bag.

Hmm, had not seen that Rackers.org site before, thanks!

Sounds like sparging is the answer.

No. Learn from us that have tried to save a couple bucks on a kettle, buy a kettle that is Min 2x the batch size. I bought an 8.5 gallon kettle because I thought saving $20 was worth it. It was not. I make 5 gallon batches and even holding back some water for "sparge" i'm still at the limits with larger beers.

If your goal is full volume BIAB, and there is even a chance that down the road you'll want to go full 5gallon, get a larger kettle.

Edit: too early in the morning, I read it as you were considering buying a kettle, not that you already have it. My Bad.

If you already have the setup, yes, you can hold some water back. Just know that it will affect your gravity if you haven't accounted for it right.

No worries. I typically don't do a ton of big beers, and I originally was planning on doing a 2.5g batch. But I am probably going to be giving out several bombers as Christmas gifts, and since it is going to take awhile to finish, I might as well bump it up to a 3g batch.

So to answer my question, no...not big enough. I ended up mashing in 3.6 gals, and doing a 1 gal dunk sparge. Worked okay, but man that was a tight fit.

Back