Kirin Ichiban - how would you make it ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
I want a keg of something similar or close to this wonderful beer.

How would you make it ?

Had a couple this weekend when we went for sushi, and really enjoyed it. It was completely not what I was expecting at all. I guess since it has a Japanese name and its made by Anheuser Busch I was expecting a rice lager style.

Any ideas on the ingredients ? I'm guessing Vienna and 2Row Malts and Tett/Hallertau on the hops.. ?.?.?

In 1990, Ichiban's debut made a splash in the world of super premium beers. The luxurious single wort (or first press) process yields a unique, complex flavor. With his gold label and "Special Premium Reserve" appellation, Ichiban outclasses and outperforms. But don't be fooled by a snooty attitude -- this is a great beer that goes with anything.

What makes Ichiban great
Prominent wort. Finest barley malt, premium hops, smooth finish, no bitter aftertaste.

Sounds like a no sparge batch to me. Maybe they partigyle Bud Light off the spent grain. ;)

I'd be interested as well. Might not be my go to beer but much better than Tsingtao when trying to get an "authentic" beer at an Oriental restaurant.

I don't know either, but it is basically a lager in a brown bottle. I would geuss a lot of vienna and a good amount of some kind of crystal, just without the color. Is that Carapils, or caradextrine something like that. Essentially mouthfeel but no color.

Back