Kit Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgrier

Reaction score
This is one of those "how bad is it" questions.

I got a Vinters Reserve Costal Red to do, my first kit.

I put the kit together in a primary 6.5 gal glass carboy. In Nov.

I have not touched it since.

I was going to do the following:
1. Check the gravity - should be done at this point
2. Rack it
3. De Gas it
4. Add the other packs - Sorbate Potassium, Metabisulphite and the inglass
let it sit for 2 weeks
Bottle.

Thoughts? Has sitting on the yeast cake going to ruin the wine?

It has been cold here since then and the room has been in the lower 60's since Dec 3 or so. I am hoping that might help.

Thanks for your help.
T

no sitting on the yeast has probably improved your wine. the yeast have had time to clean up after themselves. your plan sounds good to me.

TipsyDragon, what exactly does it mean when you say, "the yeast have had time to clean up after themselves?"

during primary fermentation the yeast eat the sugar and produce CO2 and alcohol. they also produce all sorts of other byproducts that give your brew all sorts of off flavors. during secondary fermentation (which happens during and after primary fermentation) the yeast eat these byproducts cleaning up your brew making it taste better.

if you kept your brew within the proper temperature range the yeast wont have as much to clean up and probably wont need to leave your brew on the yeast as long. depending on condition the yeast can do wonders in about a months time.

In most cases, leaving wine on the lees too long will cause autolysis, which will lead to off flavors. There are certain exceptions to this, which is called sur lie aging, but the yeasts with which that works are in the minority.

My recommendation to the OP is to follow his plan exactly as he has it outlined.

Back