Kolsch Decoction?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpsloan

Reaction score
For my birthday, I thought I would try to do something a little different for a brew day. And that something would be to try my first decoction mash.

However, the recipe I chose to brew weeks ago was a Kolsch (I've got nothing but dark beers... I need something blonde in my basement!). I intend on doing a single decoction to raise the mash from protein rest to saccharification temp.

In reading up on the process, I've gotten some mixed signals. Some say that performing a decoction on a light (some might say flimsy) beer like a kolsch would shore up its flavor and make it better. However, other say that too much malty flavor will knock it out of style.

Then there's the color question. I plan on doing a short boil, to avoid excessive maltiness and darkening. Would this still throw my color range out of style, though? Would I be better off with a single infusion mash as usual?

Also, one website makes a warning that doing a protein rest with continental pils that are well-modified will only serve to destroy the proteins needed for head retention. Is this bunk, or should I just wait until I do a Scotch Ale to try decocting?

For my birthday, I thought I would try to do something a little different for a brew day. And that something would be to try my first decoction mash.

However, the recipe I chose to brew weeks ago was a Kolsch (I've got nothing but dark beers... I need something blonde in my basement!). I intend on doing a single decoction to raise the mash from protein rest to saccharification temp.

In reading up on the process, I've gotten some mixed signals. Some say that performing a decoction on a light (some might say flimsy) beer like a kolsch would shore up its flavor and make it better. However, other say that too much malty flavor will knock it out of style.

Then there's the color question. I plan on doing a short boil, to avoid excessive maltiness and darkening. Would this still throw my color range out of style, though? Would I be better off with a single infusion mash as usual?

Also, one website makes a warning that doing a protein rest with continental pils that are well-modified will only serve to destroy the proteins needed for head retention. Is this bunk, or should I just wait until I do a Scotch Ale to try decocting?

A decoction for a Kolsch is likely to do more harm than good and IMO isn't at all necessary. The risk is producing a darker & maltier beer than the style demands.

I'm running a RIMS and for a Kolsch I do a short protein rest of 10 minutes. Here's the mash schedule I use:

122° 10 min
134° 15 min
152° 60 min
168° 20 min

As with most beers, I'm confident that you could also produce a fine Kolsch with only a single infusion mash. I've had such good luck with the recipe I use that I hesitate changing anything at all. It's brought home the gold for me several times. A Kolsch certainly is no IPA or Barleywine, but it's also not a "flimsy" beer when brewed right. It's one of my favorites, but then I have more than a few favorite styles and most of them are not of the light variety.

You may want to try it both ways and compare the results. Post back if you do. I would like to hear your results. A Kolsch is all about the Kolsch yeast character and little else.

I guess it depends on whether you are trying to brew to style or if you brewing for something other than a medal. A single, short decoction could be a bit interesting in a Koelsch. While any melanoidin character it produces would be in appropriate for the style, that doesn't mean it will not add some pleasant depth or complexity to the beer.

Do not be under the impression that simply decocting a typically light beer into some dark malt monster. If you do a single, short decoction, the effect should be subtle.

However, like Catt22 mentioned, you need to keep the protein rest short. That makes it difficult to do a proper decoction here. If you want to do one, you can do a double infusion mash and decoct either to a higher sacc rest or to a mash out (or just to wherever, and start sparging).

Don't worry too much about the long boil. Just keep the boil at a reasonable level (i.e., don't crank the heat up to the point where you are boiling the bejeebers out of it). A proper, rolling boil should be fine.

Yes, do tell us the results. I wouldn't mind trying something like this, myself. I might not wind up with something I would want to serve in a stange in Koeln, but I bet it's a mighty fine beer.

TL

Catt22 said:
A Kolsch certainly is no IPA or Barleywine, but it's also not a "flimsy" beer when brewed right...
A Kolsch is all about the Kolsch yeast character and little else.

In a way, this is what's spurred me to try to brew a Kolsch. I haven't had much luck with the lighter beers outside of my English Bitter, and I want to change that! I figured I might miss some of the malt flavor I tend to favor in my recipes, but then... I might also want to try the single infusion first, and then see if I do, in fact, miss it.

Edcculus said:
Careful on the short boil if you are using Pils though.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear there. What I meant was that I would not boil the decoction for very long, in order to limit the caramelization.

TexLaw said:
However, like Catt22 mentioned, you need to keep the protein rest short.

And herein lies my greatest reservation. I tend to get pretty rockin’ clarity lately when I just let the beer cold-condition for a while, which a Kolsch will obviously get. I didn’t want to noodle around with a protein rest if I didn’t need to, especially if it risked giving me a beer that was watery and flat.

But as I read your comments, it occurs to me that perhaps doing a single decoction to raise from protein rest to saccharification would be better for a Cream Ale. I could basically take my recipe, add some flaked maize and a hint of brumalt, swap out the yeast for something like US-05, and then give decoction a shot with that. Wouldn’t have to lager as long with that, either.

In any event, I might just go with a single infusion mash this weekend, and attempt the Kolsch style by the book. Thanks for the input, guys!

t occurs to me that perhaps doing a single decoction to raise from protein rest to saccharification would be better for a Cream Ale. I could basically take my recipe, add some flaked maize and a hint of brumalt, swap out the yeast for something like US-05, and then give decoction a shot with that.

I like the sound of that a lot. You just got my mind running a bit with a few ideas for new beers.

TL

I brewed a Kolsch that I felt was pretty sucessful. I would skip deconcoction as athers have mentioned. I would also reccomend Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast. For me, it took a while for the yeast to drop out but it turned out great. I did ferment at 60F for the early stage of fermentation and then warmed up a bit to make sure it finished with the SG I was looking for.

I brewed a Kolsch that I felt was pretty sucessful. I would skip deconcoction as athers have mentioned. I would also reccomend Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast. For me, it took a while for the yeast to drop out but it turned out great. I did ferment at 60F for the early stage of fermentation and then warmed up a bit to make sure it finished with the SG I was looking for.

Thanks... that's exactly the yeast I got. I'm waiting for the starter juice to cool down, and I'm going to get a nice healthy 2L of starter chugging in time for the weekend!

I bottle conditioned my Kolsch and after it carbed up for a few weeks I put the whole batch in the fridge and turned the temp way down. After a 2-3 weeks the beer became crystal clear. I harvested the yeast when I bottled the batch and plan to brew another batch soon. Come to think about it, I only have a couple bottles left. :mug:

The recipe I used was very simple(5.5 gal batch). 9 lb Continental Pilsner malt and .5 lb Munich. 90 minute boil with 1.5 oz Hallertau hops.

Back