Kombucha Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

legbuh

Reaction score
Hi, everyone! New Kombucha brewer here. I found out about it while I was making both milk and water kefir. I decided I had to try it.

I read online where you can make your own scoby with store bought (and didn't keep reading to see after 2010 the forumlations had changed, so it doesn't work any more). So, I ordered a scoby from someone online.

But, in the meantime I'll be darned if my trial with a GT Citrus store bought "enlightened" didn't produce a scoby after about 7 days! It's not the alcoholic stuff either.

The scoby was clearish, milky and a couple mm thick. Not sure if I should keep it or not, but I'm already doing a second fermentation on my first batch from my "real" scoby.

I made the mistake of leaving it out and my wife saw the scoby which was HUGE from the person I bought it from. She about lost it.. haha.. It looked like a big thick jellyfish with stringers. :)

Anyhow, looking forward to ideas, etc here. Hopefully I can use some methods making bucha as I did making water kefir. I'm trying lemon juice, ginger and dried cranberries in the 2nd fermentation for flavor as that always produced really taste water kefir.

Welcome!
Was there a question in there someplace? I might have missed it.

Back