leave the hops in or take them out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XELA

Reaction score
i have just been reading about extract brewing and was wondering

when pouring the wort into the fermentation bucket/carboy is it best to leave the hops in or strain them out?

also, iv read that you suposed to pour in the wort "aggresivly" - i know this would be easy with a bucket but how would you manage this using a carboy?

thanks

I pour my wort through a stainless kitchen strainer placed on top of a large funnel. This serves two purposes. First, it filters out a lot of the hop pellet leftovers and reduces the overall trub in the bottom of my carboy. Second, the wort gets aerated when it falls from the funnel into the carboy. I find this process works pretty well.

awesome
I think im ready to make first extract brew. :)

cheers !

When using carboys, you should shake them after you get the wort in there too. The more oxygen you get into the wort, the happier the yeast will be. Thats why alot of guys get a pure oxygen setup. So shake it till your arms fall off......or for about 5min, whatever comes first. :D

Good luck on that first batch!!!! :mug:

I use a hop bag for whole hops and wring and toss the bag when the boil is done. Some use sterlized marbles in the bags to weigh it down. I leave hop pellets alone. The pellets will settle in the trub during fermentation.

I strain with my strainer/colander if I feel like it. I just pour it in with a funnel if I don't. Doesn't seem to matter much, really- as the hops will settle out in the primary. I always do a secondary, though, and siphon above all the crud.

Do try to leave the cold break behind if you can, though- it's these big strands of gross junk. It will also settle out, but it seems to me that you get more of a chill haze if you don't leave it out when your pour/strain/siphon to primary. I noticed that sometimes I lose 1/4 gallon or so of beer when I don't strain- so I try to remember to do that.

Back