Leffe Clone attempt, any way to get FG down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jturman35

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just made my first attempt at Revys Leffe Clone and I’m stuck at 1.018. Really wanted this to finish up around 1.012-1.010. This beer was still bubbling strong after a week. I did have quite a bit of blow off using this WLP530. Made a 1.5L starter and had activity 10 hrs later.

Day 1 (66)
Day 4 (69)
Day 6 (70)
Day 8 (72) FG using hydrometer 1.018
Day 12 (75) FG using refract 9 brix = 1.018

IMG_2965.JPG

IMG_4539.JPG

Am I just along for the ride or is there anything I can do at this point?

You are pretty close and have good attenuation for a 158 degree mash. I don’t think it is stuck, it is done.

You could let it ride until activity stops if you want but I don’t know what would really help final gravity now.

With a mash temp of 158, I’d say your most likely down to where you’re gunna be, since the higher mash extracted complex sugars the yeast won’t be able to convert. You could try pitching some champagne yeast to see if you can shave off the remaining points you’re looking for.

I am going to let it sit for at least 3 weeks, if not a month. Should i bump the temp down after 2 weeks?

Heffe can condition warmer. 72 would be fine to let it sit at

I’m sitting at 15 days. Would a little table sugar get fermentation going again? Maybe 4 to six ounces.

I’m sitting at 15 days. Would a little table sugar get fermentation going again? Maybe 4 to six ounces.
Well it will cause your beer to ferment again because your adding sugar and that sugar will ferment and give you more alcohol but it will not cause your current FG to go any lower since your yeast have already converted all fermentable sugars

Last edited:
Well it will cause your beer to ferment again because your adding sugar and that sugar will ferment and give you more alcohol but it will not cause your current FG to go any lower since your yeast have already converted all fermentable sugars
Yes it will, as alcohol is lighter than water. It will have the same effect on FG as adding more sugar at the beginning would have had. But of course it will not actually make yeast ferment any dextrins. By the way, why do you think a champagne yeast would make any difference in a beer with only 6.9% ABV that has supposedly reached FG?

Yes it will, as alcohol is lighter than water. It will have the same effect on FG as adding more sugar at the beginning would have had. But of course it will not actually make yeast ferment any dextrins. By the way, why do you think a champagne yeast would make any difference in a beer with only 6.9% ABV that has supposedly reached FG?
By adding sugar to his beer he will be adding gravity as well. Then that gravity will be almost 100% fermentation. Let say he adds .5 lbs of corn sugar. He will add about .005 gravity points. Making a 1.018 go to a 1.023. Then that sugar will ferment out and he will go back to 1.018. He will be back to where he started but increased his abv by just over 0.5%

By adding sugar to his beer he will be adding gravity as well. Then that gravity will be almost 100% fermentation. Let say he adds .5 lbs of corn sugar. He will add about .005 gravity points. Making a 1.018 go to a 1.023. Then that sugar will ferment out and he will go back to 1.018. He will be back to where he started but increased his abv by just over 0.5%
Again, we are talking about uncorrected gravity measurements. Since his beer has more alcohol per unit of volume gravity will decrease and apparent attenuation will increase. That's the reason why it's called apparent.

Yes I know, but I was making this simple to answer his question that if he adds sugar now to his beer, there will be no additional fermentation of original sugars. He can boost his abv, but he will not be able too turn any of the remaining sugar to alcohol.

We both agree on this point. But the fact still is that FG will decrease while ABV will go up and this will indeed have a flavor impact on the beer.

I’m looking to dry the beer out a little from 1.018 down to 1.010 so may not make enough difference to justify adding sugar.

Your best bet is to use an enzyme that can break down some of the remaining long chain starches into fermentable sugars. Why the mash at 158? That seems awfully high to me for a Belgian beer.

Yea, it’s Revvys Leffe Blonde Ale clone, the reason for the high mash temp is for mouthfeel and weight. The recipe calls for a small amount of table sugar which usually thins out the beer. I assume the high mash temp and sugar help keep the beer balanced.

Hydro samples seem pretty good and I don’t have enzyme so I’m just gona let it roll.

Check out my posts from Jan 17 in revvy’s thread. I had the same problem and a tsp of amylase enzyme took care of it.

Back