Lets talk about Cover Letters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98EXL

Reaction score
So I'm unemployed at the moment and talked to a buddy of mine who has a spot opening up at the end of summer at his place. Basically it sounds like an awesome fit for me, and he wants my resume. I asked him if he thought a cover letter is needed (DOH!) and he said yeah, it would probably be a good idea.

So I've never done one before and what is everyone's thoughts about them? I generally know how they go, but does anyone have any insider scoop on some really good things to put in them? I really need a job, and so far haven't needed one, ever, and I really think this place sounds great, so help me out, and lets take a break from talking about beer, and help a guy out so he can afford his hobby again soon!

The point of a cover letter is basically to introduce yourself to the employer. Briefly highlight your professional experience, and how you can benefit their company. Try and keep it short and to the point.

Short, to the point and job specific. Do not make it too general - try to point out specific ways that your education and experience can benefit that particular company. I help/do the hiring in my company and my boss is a sucker for a good cover letter.

I recently had to do the whole job search thing. I just graduated from from college and sent out tons of resumes and portfolios, and all of them had cover letters.

The career counselors at school told us to make it short and to the point. Three paragraphs max with about 4 sentences per paragraph. In the first paragraph you introduce yourself, say what position you are applying for, and tell why you are interested in seeking a job there. In the second paragraph you highlight your skills and assets. This paragraph will benefit greatly from research of the place you are applying to. Market yourself to this particular employer. The third paragraph says that you look foward to hearing back from them and how to get in touch with you and things of that nature.

If you need an example of what I'm talking about I can email you one. Just PM me. Hope some of that helps.

Very true. It never hurts to do some quick research on the company and position before writing your cover letter.

Done and done...buddy of a buddy works there...which is why this whole thing started, and I got that on lockdown

I recently had to do the whole job search thing. I just graduated from from college and sent out tons of resumes and portfolios, and all of them had cover letters.

The career counselors at school told us to make it short and to the point. Three paragraphs max with about 4 sentences per paragraph. In the first paragraph you introduce yourself, say what position you are applying for, and tell why you are interested in seeking a job there. In the second paragraph you highlight your skills and assets. This paragraph will benefit greatly from research of the place you are applying to. Market yourself to this particular employer. The third paragraph says that you look foward to hearing back from them and how to get in touch with you and things of that nature.

If you need an example of what I'm talking about I can email you one. Just PM me. Hope some of that helps.

That was the best Cliff Notes version I have read...thanks, that really helps...and you can email me one if you want to, that would really be great

recently had to do the whole job search thing. I just graduated from from college and sent out tons of resumes and portfolios, and all of them had cover letters.

While this is good advice- I have never used a cover letter. I have 2 resumes, One, one page. Short, has my pic and is extremely concentrated on my career. 2nd is 3 pages and is complete. Ive always had people comment on how good my 1 pager was and thought the pic was a real professional touch.
The short one gets me in the door. When they want to ask me my actual qualifications I hand them the second. Its a good system IMO

I made everything fit on one page...2 was just too much apparently. It flows better this way and it leaves a little bit to talk about on the interview as well

I know some people that never look at the cover letter, but most do. Resumes are very condensed life experience and skills, a cover letter is an introduction. The primary purpose is to get your resume through the barriers in HR, and make it to the final cut by the hiring manager. Keep it to one page, professional (Of course), but highly focused on what you are applying for. I have seen resumes that are "jacks of all trades" that normally would not have made it through the vetting process, but the cover letter made it clear that they were the person for the job.
-98 Best of luck in your transition, hope your next job is great for you.

I

This is one of the best descriptions of what a cover letter should look like that I have seen.

Just to second what others have said, your cover letter should be on one page and your resume should be on one page.

Make sure you also have reference nicely printed up if they ask for them (don't say references available upon request as this is assumed to be the case). Most companies like to see 3-4 references, with only 1 that is a personal reference.

This brings up a major pet peeve of mine. NOT every job requires a cover letter, only upper level positions that do require a bit of an introduction to the prospective employee.

I don't know where you come in on the scale, and I know its a loose definition, but use your own judgment. A poorly written cover letter, or unnecessary cover letter, will get your resume thrown in trash faster than no letter at all

I know some people that never look at the cover letter, but most do. Resumes are very condensed life experience and skills, a cover letter is an introduction. The primary purpose is to get your resume through the barriers in HR, and make it to the final cut by the hiring manager. Keep it to one page, professional (Of course), but highly focused on what you are applying for. I have seen resumes that are "jacks of all trades" that normally would not have made it through the vetting process, but the cover letter made it clear that they were the person for the job.
-98 Best of luck in your transition, hope your next job is great for you.

This is going through internally, handed directly (ok, fwd: to the manager) to the woman who is looking for more help, not going through HR (for now). Also I am that Jack of all trades guy, and I'll tell you the one page resume still doesn't have that in it, which probably needs to be apparent in the cover letter

This is one of the best descriptions of what a cover letter should look like that I have seen.

Just to second what others have said, your cover letter should be on one page and your resume should be on one page.

Make sure you also have reference nicely printed up if they ask for them (don't say references available upon request as this is assumed to be the case). Most companies like to see 3-4 references, with only 1 that is a personal reference.

I assume even with this coming from an internal reference, I should still have them?

This brings up a major pet peeve of mine. NOT every job requires a cover letter, only upper level positions that do require a bit of an introduction to the prospective employee.

I don't know where you come in on the scale, and I know its a loose definition, but use your own judgment. A poorly written cover letter, or unnecessary cover letter, will get your resume thrown in trash faster than no letter at all

I dunno about that one...I'm not picking up trash, but I'm not applying for CIO...so in terms of that, I dunno what to say, other than I was told to write one up

Back