Looking for a König Ludwig Dunkel AG recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvtschultz

Reaction score
I was stationed in Germany briefly in 2003 and got to drink a few of bottles (drank too much and skipped most of my meal) of König Ludwig Dunkel and really enjoyed this beer. I remember it being the single greatest beer that I had ever had at the time. Does anyone have a recipe that might fit this beer?

http://www.warsteiner.com/en_US/html/partner_brands_koenig_ludwig_dunkel.html

From what I can remember (it's been a while since I've had this), Konig Ludwig Dunkel is a pretty straightforward German dunkel. Nothing really that different about it as compared to most others, maybe a bit more roasty. As such, it likely has a very simple recipe.

My guess: 10-40% german pils malt, the rest munich malt. Probably Weyermann type II. Maybe a bit of specialty malt; on the homebrew scale, I would recommend a bit of caramunich (maybe 3-4%), and some carafa if you need to adjust the color. Use a traditional decoction mash if you have the patience/skill for it, otherwise use a single rest and you will be fine.

Hop with any german noble hop, my guess would be Hersbrucker though I'm not sure. Mostly just bittering, maybe a touch at 20 mins also. Something like 20 IBU's, not much.

Ferment with a good german lager yeast, making sure to make a large starter. If you use dry yeast, Saflager 34/70 would be good. Otherwise WLP830 or 838 would be great. 920 if you can get it, but it's a seasonal strain. Ferment with good lager technique, then lager for 3 months before bottling/kegging.

This will get you very close; you'll produce a typical german Dunkel, and they're all very similar to each other. I tried to callibrate it towards Ludwig as best I could, but only tweaking over multiple batches will get you exactly there.

Latest posts

Back