Looking for recent experience with certain hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehaze

Reaction score
Hello.

So I've ordered some Ella, Topaz and Riwaka directly from Australia and I am waiting for those to arrive.

I am looking for recent experience with these hops, beyond the threads and articles I can find on the Internet, which I've gone through many times. Riwaka is supposedly giving some diesel/kerosene flavours and Ella is either spicy when used at under 4 gr/l and tropical when going for more than 4-5 gr/l. Topaz should be good in the whirlpool, with dry hopping adding some grassy notes.

Has anyone used these, either on their own or combined?

Thank you and may you all have a great weekend/summer.

I know @couchsending enjoys Southern Hemisphere hops and talks about Ella quite a bit, he’ll prob be able to give you some info.

I haven't tried Ella yet, and I am really excited.

Topaz I used twice before: once together with EKG in a sort of a contemporary bitter, with 98% Maris Otter + 2% Dark Crystal + Windsor and Nottingham co-pitched - 40IBU * 5.5% ABV * 65% EKG + 35% Topaz - only boil, late additions and whirlpool - no dry hop and again in a Hoppy Schwarzbier, which I dry hopped. Definitely a bit of grassiness, but not unpleasent.

I want to use Ella and Topaz in the same beer, with maybe a bit of help from Southern Cross or Pacific Jade.

Tried Riwaka in a NEIPA with Azacca, Denali, Citra and Eureka, but I don't know what it added in that blend, if anything. This time I want to blend Riwaka ( 60-70% ) with a bit of Motueka and Taiheke ( NZ grown Cascade - mellower and possibly a bit more tropical leaning and not that grapefruity ).

Thanks so far and I am happy to hear about any kind of experience with these hops.

Latest posts

Back