lots of ice and frost inside keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawbrewing

Reaction score
cant believe a search didnt pull anything up. major ice frost building up on the corner upper wall of my keezer . live with it or is there a secret fix i dont know about? it can get in the way and gets annoying.

What is your temp set at? are you sure it's correct? -- seems like there shouldn't be any ice buildup if your temp is in the high 30's/low 40's.

Not unusual, although more people have trouble with condensation and use various mechanical and chemical methods to reduce it.

i put a damp rid in my keezer, but the more you open and close it the more condensation will form... make sure you have everything sealed up well so nothing is leaking in from outside

hmmm. not sure. i don't open and close it regularly, i keep the beer around 38* or so, i built a collar on it, and it seems to have a good seal. i just recently defrosted it by turning it off for a bit, because the ice was so bad around the corner keg top, that it was starting to freeze overtop of the one corny, so right now there's no ice/frost. but it will happen again i'm sure, and i'll post some pics. but what it's doing is getting up in the top back corner, getting a big chunk of ice that just continues to grow, and get bigger, kind of like an old school freezer, back in the day that you would have to defrost every once in awhile with an icepick, and a hammer. i didn't know if there was just something that was obvious that i didn't know about like, "oh, you have to put a doodadhickythingamajig in there so that doesn't happen".

nope, at least not that i know of, i keep mine at 41 with a 2 degree swing and get some condensation, but not bad... if i do anything in there and keep it open for a while i will get a build up of condensation that i usually wipe down quickly. Where do you keep it? I have mine in a cool (55 now, 64 in the summer) dry basement

nope, at least not that i know of, i keep mine at 41 with a 2 degree swing and get some condensation, but not bad... if i do anything in there and keep it open for a while i will get a build up of condensation that i usually wipe down quickly. Where do you keep it? I have mine in a cool (55 now, 64 in the summer) dry basement

yeah, mine is in the basement too. in a tiny closet that is underneath the stairs. maybe i'm too cold. i'll check that out, maybe raise the temp a bit, and do some re-sealing around the holes and such. maybe put something heavy up on the lid too.

i have my collar and all holes filled/sealed. I also noticed a big drop in condensation when i put a fan to circulate air in my keezer, that could be the difference

Not unusual, although more people have trouble with condensation and use various mechanical and chemical methods to reduce it.

Can someone expand on the various mechanical and chemical methods to reduce condensation? It drips down the walls of mine and collects at the bottom where it mixes with any beer spilt whilst disconnecting the disconnects and makes a big mess that if not cleaned constantly, starts growing slimy smelly stuff.

Excessive condensation is an indication that there is an air leak somewhere. The lid seal is the first place to check, but the collar to freezer seal is also a prime suspect. It only takes a tiny pinhole leak to cause problems. A fan to circulate the freezer air helps considerably, but if there is an air leak it can sometimes make the problem even worse. Some condensation is to be expected as there will inevitably be some minor spills and drips happening as you connect and disconnect kegs. The kegs when cold and moved about can readily accumulate some "sweat" condensation. Wiping them down with a towel before placing them in the freezer helps a lot. You can check for air leaks in your collar and seals by putting a bright light inside the freezer. Do this at night and turn out the lights. You can spot even small pinhole leaks this way if you look closely. You may not be able to detect every possible leak this way, but it worked for me on the first try.

Back