Love letter to T-58

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tellyho

Reaction score
Dear T-58,

Where have you been all my belgian brewing life? I've been with 3711, 1726, and pretty much whored with every White Labs saison yeast in existence. Tried Saisonstein, Farmhouse Ale, you name it. Then you come along with just the right level of residual sugar and phenloics that just do the job for me. Oh, and you are cheap. And easy. No stupid starters for you, just toss you into chilled wort and you get to it!

T-58, I may never date another yeast again.

Love,

A saison addict

mine? not nearly where it should have been...didnt have a heater and dual mode temp controller back then. i just tasted it and said “good enough”...couldnt be bothered to take FG....lazy that day i guess.

Sorry I was referring to OPs Saison.

T-58 can’t eat maltotriose so if you want a dry Saison you’re gonna have to do some seriously long low temp mashing to get it to finish even remotely close to where a Saison should finish. It’s a super weird yeast. I’ve messed with it a lot but never wanted to make a Saison with it. Fermentis advertises roughly 70% attenuation for it which for me is not a Saison yeast.

Fair enough. I agree that saisons are supposed to be dry. If you insist, I can call my beer something else. Whatever I call it though, it's what I want to drink.

Latest posts

Back