Mac OS X Snow Leopard... meh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavageSteve

Reaction score
Is anyone a bit underwhelmed by Snow Leopard?

Yeah, I know it's not a brand spanking new OS, and it's leaner, meaner, faster, and all kinds of 64-bit madness, but geez... couldn't they at least have made a new introductory movie instead of reusing the same one from Leopard?

I opted for a fresh install rather than upgrading (a habit from dealing with Windows for years) and the ol' Mac does seem a bit faster, but other than that... meh?

-Steve

from what i've read it wasn't really meant as anything groundbreaking. I'm sure you are right about the movie, but $30 for a faster and better OS that doesn't really cause you any problems...? Seems like a nice windows alternative to me.

Unfortunately, at work, we live in a Microsoft world with Exchange 2007. I have been using Entourage but was looking forward to using Mail.app and iCal again. So far, the Exchange integration has been very good and life is good. But, that's what I was waiting for anyways. It does seem faster in some areas, too.

from what i've read it wasn't really meant as anything groundbreaking. I'm sure you are right about the movie, but $30 for a faster and better OS that doesn't really cause you any problems...? Seems like a nice windows alternative to me.

Yeah, I knew that from the beginning, but I just wish they put in a little bit more of a wow-factor to go along with what I know is a better OS under the hood.

-Steve

Actually, I'm very interested to try it out, PARTICULARLY because there isn't much "wow factor." I'm running 10.5.8, and I will likely upgrade later this month. I don't need bling, I need functionality! I wish Microsoft would figure that out!

Going to upgrade mine this weekend to snow leopard. I am mainly doing it for exchange support as Entourage isn't working for me.

upgrading the rest of the household next weekend after test running Snow Leopard on the iMac.
I was quite happy with the upgrade. The fun part for me will be backing up the gaming rigs and making sure that Teresa will be up and running for her assigned Raid times... oh and her freaky Facebook Farm Town lunacy.

You realize that the upgrade from Tiger is $169, right? I thought that was pretty crappy of Apple.

PhreePhly
I read somewhere that it would still work without Leopard, but Apple's trying to keep that quiet, and also that it might work on PowerPC. So, since you don't save any money buying them as a package, I'd try just Snow Leopard first. If it doesn't work then get Leopard, but find a used copy because I don't know how much longer 10.5 will be available, if it even is anymore. Definitely check to make sure you can get a copy of Leopard before buying Snow Leopard to prevent having to pay for Snow Leopard twice.

The reason Snow Leopard is only $29 is because it's supposed to be a small update to Leopard, but significant enough not to be considered just another 10.5.x update. So basically they're assuming you've already upgraded to Leopard, but give you a nice package option if you haven't.

I read somewhere that it would still work without Leopard, but Apple's trying to keep that quiet, and also that it might work on PowerPC. So, since you don't save any money buying them as a package, I'd try just Snow Leopard first. If it doesn't work then get Leopard, but find a used copy because I don't know how much longer 10.5 will be available, if it even is anymore. Definitely check to make sure you can get a copy of Leopard before buying Snow Leopard to prevent having to pay for Snow Leopard twice.

The reason Snow Leopard is only $29 is because it's supposed to be a small update to Leopard, but significant enough not to be considered just another 10.5.x update. So basically they're assuming you've already upgraded to Leopard, but give you a nice package option if you haven't.

I don't need to worry, I'm happily running Windows 7 x64. I won't run OSX until I can legally put it on hardware of my choice.

PhreePhly

my buddy just "upgraded" to snow leopard, it was a faulty disk and caused it to only install half of the program, thus making it unable to boot using the original os and not havening enough files to boot with snow leopard. he's taking it to an apple store to say F you.

I read somewhere that it would still work without Leopard, but Apple's trying to keep that quiet...

Yeah, it seems you can install Snow Leopard on to a system with Tiger, but you will be in violation of the EULA if that matters to you.

he's taking it to an apple store to say F you.

Could just go and ask for some help or something.:D

I did a straight upgrade and was pretty impressed by the overall speed boost. The real winner will be when developers start building applications that take advantage of Grand Central. Lots of multi-threaded, low overhead goodness there.

Just installed it on one of the Mac Book Pros I use at work. Pretty slick so far. The best thing is support for Exchange. I absolutely hate Entourage. I can see it being rather unimpressive for those who dont have to deal with Exchange though. For $30, its kind of a no brainer.

I kind of saw it as a big update rather than an all out upgrade. I wasn't expecting a light year leap in speed. Its a little faster here and there, which is nice.

I should be putting it on the rest of our prepress macs soon. One of our art programs won't be compatible, so I have to wait until they release a fix.

Having used it for a while now, I will say that it is definitely speedier. Apps snap open like they've never done before.

-Steve

I don't even know which "cat" I'm running on this iBook, but its version 10.3.9. I need some kind of upgrade, but the only thing available at the Apple store is snow leopard. I was told I can't even run snow leopard because I don't have an Intel processor...

Wow. That's Panther.

I actually have a copy of Tiger (10.4) that I'm not using. PM me if you're interested-- I'm willing to part with it cheaply. I'm still using Leopard (10.5) on my PowerBook; otherwise I'd offer that to you.

My PowerBook is at it's end with Leopard, so I'm probably looking at a new MacBook soon. But this PowerBook has lasted over 5 years now, and it's still going strong, except for playback of high quality video and some flash objects.

-Steve

Are you a prepress operator too?

I've got it installed at home, but were not going to upgrade at work yet.

Just installed it on one of the Mac Book Pros I use at work. Pretty slick so far. The best thing is support for Exchange. I absolutely hate Entourage. I can see it being rather unimpressive for those who dont have to deal with Exchange though. For $30, its kind of a no brainer.

I kind of saw it as a big update rather than an all out upgrade. I wasn't expecting a light year leap in speed. Its a little faster here and there, which is nice.

I should be putting it on the rest of our prepress macs soon. One of our art programs won't be compatible, so I have to wait until they release a fix.

I'm actually Color Management/ quasi Prepress Manager. I don't do any production artwork. The closest I get is preflighting files. We use Esko Artwork's Art Pro for most of our prepress work. I contacted Esko, and they told me not to upgrade yet.

I read a biography on Steve Jobs a while ago and it was fascinating to see how driven he really is, even from the beginning in his garage. He focuses on the end result, then does whatever it takes to get there. He once ate nothing but carrots out of a strong belief in something (I can't recall) for so long that his skin started turning orange. He fervently believes in what he does, even if it creates some negative side effects.

Apple products sucked for most of the 90's when he wasn't there. He came back and, IMHO, saved Apple from going under.

Apple gets it. People want usable technology, not complex technology with too many options and a high learning curve (nearly all Windows consumer products). Example: the iPhone is a great platform for Internet access, stand-alone applications, and is a pretty good iPod too. But it's also and awesome phone. It is the simplest, easiest to understand mobile phone I have ever used. Period.

I still have my iPhone from two years ago, and I really don't see a need to upgrade to a new one any time soon. I'm using the same PowerBook I bought 5 years ago and it still feels brand new (well, nearly... the rubber feet have some issues).

Am I too far into the RDF? I don't think so. Apple can still make bad products and make bad decisions (e.g. glossy screens for everyone!), but on the whole, they are a company that gets it and makes fantastic products.

Call me a fanboy if you will, but I believe I'm being objective.

-Steve

I read a biography on Steve Jobs a while ago and it was fascinating to see how driven he really is, even from the beginning in his garage. He focuses on the end result, then does whatever it takes to get there. He once ate nothing but carrots out of a strong belief in something (I can't recall) for so long that his skin started turning orange. He fervently believes in what he does, even if it creates some negative side effects.

Apple products sucked for most of the 90's when he wasn't there. He came back and, IMHO, saved Apple from going under.

Apple gets it. People want usable technology, not complex technology with too many options and a high learning curve (nearly all Windows consumer products). Example: the iPhone is a great platform for Internet access, stand-alone applications, and is a pretty good iPod too. But it's also and awesome phone. It is the simplest, easiest to understand mobile phone I have ever used. Period.

I still have my iPhone from two years ago, and I really don't see a need to upgrade to a new one any time soon. I'm using the same PowerBook I bought 5 years ago and it still feels brand new (well, nearly... the rubber feet have some issues).

Am I too far into the RDF? I don't think so. Apple can still make bad products and make bad decisions (e.g. glossy screens for everyone!), but on the whole, they are a company that gets it and makes fantastic products.

Call me a fanboy if you will, but I believe I'm being objective.

-Steve

I think you hit the nail on the head with this.

another thing that is pretty amazing is the brand loyalty they have created. especially in the tech market. no one feels loyal to HP or Dell. . . but crap, when my first macbook as stolen I didn't go shopping around for different laptops, I went straight to the apple store. it's not that I consider myself a fanboy or anything, but they make a great product that you want to stick with once you use it.

While I have noticed a small increase in speed, the biggest change I noticed is the amount of HD space I gained by up grading from Leopard to Snow Leopard. Over 11 gigs!!!:mug:

I upgraded to snow leopard, some apps feel a bit more snappy, expose definitely feels more refined. Also you can now specify what happens when you plug in different devices with cameras, which is nice, iPhoto doesn't always have to open.

Other than that .... I can't really tell a big difference. The new quicktime finally plays non-standard formats. That about sums it up for me.

Back