Magnesium acceptable level for stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerRush

Reaction score
Hi guys :)

I know that the acceptable level of magnesium for making beers is 0-40 ppm, but in most recipes it is around 5 ppm. I know that the malts have magnesium on sufficient level. But my question is: my water is 16 ppm and I'm wondering if it is too much for stout ? So it is 16 ppm plus what will be in malts, does it affect negatively somehow on my beer ?

I would be grateful for replies which are based on your experience in that matter,

Thanks

Thanks, by the way do you use distilled or demineralised water ? Or it is not recommended ? I mean as a dilution, for example I have bicarbonates level 85 and when I stir 50:50 my tap water with distilled water I would have 42.5 ppm , ( I want to brew pale IPA so bicarbonates are recommended <50 ) or I shouldn't mix tap water with distilled/demineralised water?
Thanks

I don’t believe that 16 is too high for stout, but I wouldn’t take it any higher.

Thanks, by the way do you use distilled or demineralised water ? Or it is not recommended ? I mean as a dilution, for example I have bicarbonates level 85 and when I stir 50:50 my tap water with distilled water I would have 42.5 ppm , ( I want to brew pale IPA so bicarbonates are recommended <50 ) what is better to use distilled or demineralised water ? Or it doesn't matter ?
Thanks

Zero concentrations are overkill. You do want some ionic content in your brewing liquor and it doesn’t make sense to take it all out when you’re going to add some back. The most important aspect is to get undesirable ions low enough so they don’t affect the beer.

Regarding the bicarbonate content, it’s immaterial. Do not manage bicarbonate content by dilution. Manage it by acidification.

Back