Major blowoff on my hefewiezen???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
Did I overpitch? Its a little over 5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy. It's an extract batch that had an OG of 1.054 and I pitched about a quart and half starter of weihenstephen that came directly from my washed yeast cake from my last batch. This thing is going off like Mt. Vesuvias!:drunk:

The problem is I don't have a blowoff hose just an airlock. I've got it in a big plastic tub to contain any spills and I assume when it slows down I can put a clean airlock on it.

I've had vigorous fermentations before but this takes the cake. Can you overpitch? If so what are the results? This beast took off in less than three hours.:ban:

Thanks,
Al

That is pretty normal for a hefe yeast. If you don't have a blow off tube then I guess you will just have to keep a close eye on it while it runs it's course. I generally will not use a starter for hefe's because the yeast is just mean!!

It might just pop the airlock out of the carboy. One idea considering you don't have a blow off is to invert a pint glass over the opening and then waiting it out until an airlock is safe.

Blender said:
It might just pop the airlock out of the carboy. One idea considering you don't have a blow off is to invert a pint glass over the opening and then waiting it out until an airlock is safe.

I actually did that very thing with a plastic cup.

Thanks,
Al

Latest posts

Back