Marynka info?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Happy

Reaction score
Anyone here have a good nose for this hop?

Austin Homebrew has it on sale and I am considering it for an extract smash. I would like to try an earthy woodsy kind of hop and this is supposed to be along those lines.

And yes I tried the HBT googlezer for info and the Wiki. No need to google that for me Revvy:)

I was hoping a hophead here has a good nose profile from experience.

Thanks.

It is basically a high-apha saaz varietal.

Thanks for that info. I am too noob to get a mental handle on it yet.

I guess what I am looking for is a subjective review about taste and aroma. How different is it from other varieties? I am learning from scratch and want to try something that I have never heard of before, therefore picked a random one from the list.

There are several listings for Marynka's %'s and lineage, just little info on tastes.

Have you used Marynka in a brew? If so, how earthy was it? Licking the ground kind of earthy or walking through an old forest kind of way?

I just want to make sure it is worth ordering.

I have only used it once - came in the Baltic Porter kit form Austin Homebrew I brewed about 2 years ago, so I can't give a real accurate comparison.

Saaz is the signature hop in Pilsner Urquell, if you need a reference point. It is not the exact same hop, but is close and maybe just more intense.

This would make a nice clean bittering hop, since you won't need as much due to the high alpha (bitterness) %, but it also has a good full "noble" flavor and aroma that would be good in most continental (German, Belgian, Czec, etc) beers. It will give a spicy note and flavor, opposed to the citrusy american or floral English hop character.

If you are new, try brewing a few different beers with only one or two related hops with in the main groups (American - cascase, centenial, chinook; English - goldings, fuggles, wilamette; noble - hallertau, saaz, tetnanger)- it is the best way to understand how the descriptor words relate to what you actually percive in flavor and aroma. Look at a hop substitution chart to get relations / substitutes based on what you have available.

In the end, they are all hops. They are not as different as garlic and cinnamon, but more like the difference between garlic, onion, shallots, leeks and chives. Differences, but still a lot of similar falvors and aromas. Just brew. Focus on your sanitation and methods, the ingredients will make more sense as you get first hand experience with them.

I have only used it once - came in the Baltic Porter kit form Austin Homebrew I brewed about 2 years ago, so I can't give a real accurate comparison.

Saaz is the signature hop in Pilsner Urquell, if you need a reference point. It is not the exact same hop, but is close and maybe just more intense.

This would make a nice clean bittering hop, since you won't need as much due to the high alpha (bitterness) %, but it also has a good full "noble" flavor and aroma that would be good in most continental (German, Belgian, Czec, etc) beers. It will give a spicy note and flavor, opposed to the citrusy american or floral English hop character.

If you are new, try brewing a few different beers with only one or two related hops with in the main groups (American - cascase, centenial, chinook; English - goldings, fuggles, wilamette; noble - hallertau, saaz, tetnanger)- it is the best way to understand how the descriptor words relate to what you actually percive in flavor and aroma. Look at a hop substitution chart to get relations / substitutes based on what you have available.

In the end, they are all hops. They are not as different as garlic and cinnamon, but more like the difference between garlic, onion, shallots, leeks and chives. Differences, but still a lot of similar falvors and aromas. Just brew. Focus on your sanitation and methods, the ingredients will make more sense as you get first hand experience with them.

Thanks for your input. This helps. I am doing small (2gal) batches to start. I was amazed that with 0.5oz Marynka@60min plus remaining 0.5oz@10mins gives a theoretical IBU>60!

Given that I am using extra light LME, this should be well bittered :drunk:

I may play with it some more and maybe cut the 60mins to 45 and see what the software tells me.

Thank to all who chimed in.

Back