Mashing Question When Fly Sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

40oz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Quick question.

I've seen and read during batch sparging people will stir and move the grains, letting the grain settle transferring to the kettle.

Is the same done for for Fly Sparging? After I let mash for say 1 hour, do I give it a quick stir, let it settle, Vourlof, then fly sparge? Of just mash, vurlouf , and transfer?

Thanks!

No...you do not want to disturb the grain bed if you are fly sparging. People that batch sparge stir because they are trying to agitate sugars off of the grains and because the grain bed is going to get messed up anyway by dumping in so much new water.

Thank you for responding. I'm relieved then. I wasn't sure 100% sure about to do a larger 10 gal batch

Thx again!

I always stir my mash at the end, let it settle, vorlauf and fly sparge. Once the vorlauf starts i make sure the grain bed is settled and don't disturb it. Before that, I want to get as much sugar in that wort as possible.

YMMV.

Back