Medusa hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurkerga

Reaction score
I recently ordered a cream ale kit that features Medusa hops and was considering utilizing the hops to make an IPA. Unfortunately I needed to order the kit in order to get the hops. Early reviews claim that the kit is pretty good and I may stick with it until the supply increases and I can experiment more freely.
Does anyone have experience with these or have any recommendations on what may be a good recipe to try with them? I have 3 ounces to use. The link describing the hop is below.

https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/medusa

Thanks in advance!

I had not heard of Medusa hops, or the whole neomexicanus thing. Very interesting.

3 oz isn't much to work with, for an APA or IPA. I'd probably stick with the cream ale.

Medusa has a mild peachy and fruity flavor with a rather potent ditch-weed character that can be a bit much in large amounts. A few oz in a cream ale seems fine. They are a very unique hop.

That's the first time I've ever seen ditch-weed used as a taste descriptor. Peachy ditch-weed doesn't sound like an ideal pairing.

I've had the sierra nevada experimental single hop ale using Medusa hops. They are kinda different, but didnt impress me too much. I would think a cream ale would be a good showcase for them. Personally I'd add something else for a 60min bittering charge and throw the 3oz you got in at 10min or less to get a good sense of the hop

I decided to stick with the Cream Ale recipe but added 1 oz of citra in place of the 1oz Medusa at 15 mins left in boil. In total the hop schedule was:

.5 oz calypso for 60 min
1 oz citra for 15 min
1 oz medusa for 5 min
2 oz medisa at end of boil (hopstand)

Other ingredients included 6lbs pilsner lme, 1lb pilsner 2 row, 1/2lb victory, and 1lb of corn sugar added at 45 mins of 60 min boil. (maybe 1lb of pilsner some in place of corn sugar would have been a good change...)

I can't say that my initial impression of the media's aroma was overly excitable. My goal is to get a good idea of their overall aroma and flavoring qualities. Will see how it turns out but I'll admit that I think I may have overpowered the medusa with my choice of citra. Will post the results in a few weeks. Looking to primary x7 days, secondary 10-14, bottle condition x14+.

I didn't have the Sierra Nevada beer, but I have heard they have a unique bitterness. I got 8 oz of pellets from Yakima Valleu Hops. Unfortunately they are 3.4% AA!

I have some 6-row malt so I will be performing a 90 minute boil anyway.

2oz FWH
2oz @ 90
2oz @ 1
2oz dry hop

Latest posts

Back