Midwest Java Stout - bottling and hydrometer readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenTerror

Reaction score
I finally got around to brewing my second batch of beer, having a kid puts a lot of things on hold!

Anyway I brewed the Midwest Java Stout Kit on 12/6 and moved it over to secondary on 12/13. It had an OG reading of 1.044 and when I moved it to secondary a week later read at 1.016. Its now three weeks from brew day and figured its close to ready to bottle and took a reading today 12/26 and it's 1.018. I'm guessing that there might be a measurement error on one of those since it shouldn't be going up right? My second concern is that after 3 weeks its not lower? Its in a basement with a stable temp of about 64 - 65F. I plan to give it another week in the secondary but was just curious what you guys think of those readings. Thanks!

I would not expect the SG to go lower. Leave it a few more days and see what happens. When the beer is removed from the yeast cake further fermentation shouldn't be expected.
Secondary fermentation is a misnomer. A secondary vessel is usually used for clearing, though not necessary with sufficient primary time, and additions like oak cubes or fruit.

The only difference is that corrected 1.044 is 1.045.

No coffee beans, it calls for 10oz brewed coffee added to secondary.

Just took another reading and its 1.016-1.018 again, so I guess its done. Just surprised it didn't finish a bit lower.

Well it's all bottled up and waiting. I tasted some of the it and its good, the coffee flavors come through nicely and not too strong. I was hoping for a little more stronger beer flavor since its a stout. I wouldn't say its watered down but its definitely not a Guinness either. We'll see in a couple weeks what it tastes like.

I popped the top on one of the bottles this weekend because I couldn't wait any longer :) The flavor was good and I was happy with it but it was completely flat. I know that it takes a bit to bottle condition but I was thinking after 9 days that I'd have a little carbonation in it. Is this normal after 9 days or should I be concerned?

Conditioning at your basement temperature will take a few weeks longer. Best temp for conditioning is 70°F to 75°F.

Just an update to help the newbs like me :)

I opened another bottle on Friday, approximately 15 days after bottling, and I heard a slight release of pressure upon popping the cap. There is slight carbonation now, I'd call it 40% to what I'd want. But feel a little better that its no longer flat. I'll pop another one in a week in the name of science!

Small update. It took about 8 weeks in the bottle to get carbonation to a level that you would want in a beer. A lot longer than I expected, but I'm enjoying it now. Just wish I would have waited and those first 5 bottles would have been better.

Small update. It took about 8 weeks in the bottle to get carbonation to a level that you would want in a beer. A lot longer than I expected, but I'm enjoying it now. Just wish I would have waited and those first 5 bottles would have been better.

Waiting can be tough, especially today when our culture is focused on maximizing time and convenience. Apparently beer didn't get the memo ;) My solution to this problem is to make a new beer every week so I always have something new to try and have extra beers to put away.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back