Milk crates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone that uses the heavy duty square milk crates (not the lightweight filing type ones) confirm the number of bottles they fit? I've heard a case of 24 regular 12oz long necks but how about the Sierra Nevada stubby types and 22oz?

Sent from my iPhone using the Home Brew Talk App

I've have several heavy duty "real" ... plastic milk crates that are from the grocery store. One crate will hold 16 ... 22oz bottles. The bottles stick out over the top of the crate by about 1". I am not sure how many 12oz bottles will fit in the milk crate. I no longer bottle .. and haven't used them in years. I acquired my 12oz bottles back in the 1980's .. when I started extract brewing. My 12oz are the old Budweiser Long Neck returnables .. and are still in the original returnable case.

Back when cases were CASES. I worked at a restaurant years ago and they were so heavy duty.

I'm currently using copy paper boxes but they aren't so great hanging in my basement and constant use... Looking to change to crates but not sure how many I will need :)

Sent from my iPhone using the Home Brew Talk App

Get as many as you can afford and use any extras as end tables or an entertainment center in your man cave

Add a heavy piece of cardboard to the bottom to keep the bottles from tipping. Making dividers from light cardboard is the best in convienence.

I get 24-25 regular 12oz bottles per milk crate, depending on the crate. My bet on the SN bottles would be 4 rows of 4 with 5 more fitting into the gaps at the end. 16 22oz is what I get as we'll.

Checked just now -

Using a "sanctioned" square milk crate (Morning Glory) you can fit 4 bottles staggered to 5 rows for twenty bottles of the SN/Alaskan/Woodchuck style. As an interesting note, if you invert the remaining 5 bottles and place them in the corners, you can fit all 25 and still have enough room to stack another "sanctioned" milk crate on top.

There is some slop in the bottles that allow this, so if you just put 20 in and move them around you hear some clinking.

I'd also try this with a "sanctioned" rectangular milk crate, but it's out in the car full of icefishing crap - maybe later.

Checked just now -

Using a "sanctioned" square milk crate (Morning Glory) you can fit 4 bottles staggered to 5 rows for twenty bottles of the SN/Alaskan/Woodchuck style. As an interesting note, if you invert the remaining 5 bottles and place them in the corners, you can fit all 25 and still have enough room to stack another "sanctioned" milk crate on top.

There is some slop in the bottles that allow this, so if you just put 20 in and move them around you hear some clinking.

I'd also try this with a "sanctioned" rectangular milk crate, but it's out in the car full of icefishing crap - maybe later.

What is your favorite winter fishing hole?

Back