Molasses! (and honey)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackson_d

Reaction score
I'm about to do this Molasses Cinnamon Porter thing as a Christmas beer. Did it last year and it did not turn out how I hoped. I tend to under-shoot things in a recipe so they won't be overpowering and destroy what might be an otherwise good beer. So I used 1 cup Blackstrap Molasses the last 10 min of the boil.. There was basically ZERO taste of molasses in the final product. So I'm already thinknig 2 cups this year, great.

But we all know that molasses is mostly sugar so its going to get eaten by the yeasties. I was cruising around this site the other day and ran into a post about adding honey, and someone suggested adding it as the wort was cooling, around 110 degrees, so the honey doesn't 'denature' during the boil. Suggesting that you'll still get a butt load of fermentables, but also tons more honey taste since it won't break down as much as boiling. This is something I'd not heard before.

Does that work with better results as far as taste go? Cuz then I'm thinking I'll try adding the molasses while the wort is cooling instead of during the last few minutes of the boil hoping for still a bunch of fermentable sugar, but also much more molasses taste..

:rockin:

Add to the primary after fermentation or the secondary...try bottling as well. The later in the brewing process the more likely you are to get the flavor to come through

eh do you not worry at all about infection if you just dump some junk in the primary? (it should be noted i never secondary and i only keg)

and then it would have to sit another week or two huh becuase the yeast will still eat some of the sugar in the molasses yeah?

i'm thinking molasses is so thick, if i were to just add one cup to the keg, it wont really get distributed throughout the beer, especially since the beer will be cold.

have you heard the thing about adding while cooling the wort? i'd never heard that before..

jackson_d said:
eh do you not worry at all about infection if you just dump some junk in the primary? (it should be noted i never secondary and i only keg)

and then it would have to sit another week or two huh becuase the yeast will still eat some of the sugar in the molasses yeah?

i'm thinking molasses is so thick, if i were to just add one cup to the keg, it wont really get distributed throughout the beer, especially since the beer will be cold.

have you heard the thing about adding while cooling the wort? i'd never heard that before..

I've added honey right to the primary, no worries. With alcohol already present and lots of yeast working, there's little chance for infection. I'd throw any honey/molasses in at about day 3, right when active fermentation is beginning to wind down.

Yeah, I've used honey in over 50 batches and have added it nearly every possible way. No infections ever. The type of honey you use will play a part in the flavor you get as well

I'd throw any honey/molasses in at about day 3, right when active fermentation is beginning to wind down.

Ok I'm liking this idea of the honey. I'm at day 3 now and would like to try this with my american red ale.

I believe this could actually up the ABV a little but also sweetin it up??

How much honey are we talking about with 5 gallons??

Back