More hoppy aroma when including trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdaddybrew

Reaction score
I usually dump all the trub and hops into the fermentor and I get a very vigorous fermentation and excellent hop aroma but waste a lot of fermentor space to trub and always lose some beer from the blow off.

Brewing a Pale Ale, I decided to let the trub and hop waste settle in the whirlpool and leave it in the brew pot to get a much cleaner wort with less trub loss and a little more head room in my 5 gallon carboy.

The fermentation started a little slower and was less aggressive and I didn't need the blow off tube. It finished in about 4 days per usual. So far so good.

The biggest difference that I noticed is a significant reduction in hop aroma and a less vigorous fermentation. It's a Pale Ale so I may have to increase my dry hopping to compensate. Some say you can get off flavors from the trub but I haven't had this problem. Next batch I may compromise and include some of the trub.

Has anyone else noticed a loss of hop aroma and a less vigorous fermentation when leaving all of the hops and trub in the brew pot?

In the couple studies that I've seen on it ( and they're less than scientifically rigorous, but give some idea of what to expect) the trub contributes to yeast growth and health, which may lead to a more vigorous ferment. Including trub in the fermenter also can lead to a clearer beer, because as the trub drops out, it pulls yeast and proteins with it, acting as a clearing agent.

Here's my guess:
Omitting the trub means more yeast in suspension. More yeast in suspension means the hop oils are absorbed by the yeast cells. When the yeast cells drop out, it pulls the hop oils with them, leaving you with a less hoppy beer.

I usually include some of the break in my fermenter, but try to leave the hop debris out. I ferment until the yeast is mostly dropped, then cold crash for 2 days. Then I keg, putting my dry hops in muslin bags- let the keg warm to room temp over about 4-5 days for the dry hop- remove dry hop bags, then BOOM- huge hop aroma. Again, in list form:

1. Put some trub in fermenter
2. Cold crash after fermentation
3. ???
4. Dry hop room remp
5. Chill & Carb
6. BIG PROFIT

Back