Moving onto lagers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
I've only ever fermented ales before and I would like to try a lager. I'm intending to make a pilsner. I have a fridge for my fermenter so temperature control is not an issue in that regard, however, I don't have a fridge big enough to store more than a few bottles so once bottled they will have to stay at room temperature until I can put them in the fridge to drink the next day or so.

Will that be a problem to store them at warmer temperatures for a few weeks? What about if I were to make something like a doppelbock that will need additional conditioning time?

Also I'm thinking of doing a warm ferment with lager yeast like Saflager 34/70, or should I just do a traditional cold ferment?

Why are you thinking of fermenting warm?
Pilseners are simple malt bills so there is not much to hide behind. Easy to make but harder to make well.
I would certainly ferment at lager temps so you know what traditional pilseners should be made like.
Maybe next time ferment warmer. 34/70 can handle the 60’s well. I’ve used it successfully in ales recipes.

Clearly, the OP is considering all the possibilities given he's a bit hamstrung for cold cabinet space.

imo - and especially with very simple lagers that will show defects like a hammered thumb - it's much more important to control the fermentation temperature than that of the finished product. Not saying stick the bottles in your furnace room, but if you can find anything even close to "cellar temperature" to stick them and leave your fridge for fermentation, in the end you'll have a better product...

Cheers!

Why are you thinking of fermenting warm?
Pilseners are simple malt bills so there is not much to hide behind. Easy to make but harder to make well.

I was just reading a few articles where lagers were fermented warm with no apparent off flavours, but I guess I should just ferment at lager temperatures...

What would be a better style to begin with for my first lager? Something a bit more forgiving than a pilsner? I was thinking of the recipe below but maybe I should try a different style.

Malts
5.93kg Gladfield Pilsner Malt (97%)
0.18kg Gladfield Sour Grapes Malt (3.0%)

Hops
60min – 60g Riwaka
15min – 30g Motueka
0min – 30g Riwaka

My advice is to not overthink it. Keep it simple in terms of recipe. If you can do a traditional ferment do so, but if you can't without jumping through hoops... try a warm-ish one.

I've done 34/70 at room temp, 60's, and 54 or 12c many times. All were drinkable but I prefer it fermented at 54f/12c. Since you have the ability to do a proper lager temp that would be the best imo.

Over the course of my brewing career having temp control was one of the biggest leaps in beer quality.

If you have temp control, I'd suggest fermenting your first lager the traditional way. Save the warm ferments for later.

Regarding storing the lager warm after it's been fermented... cold storage is really part of the lager process, and it makes a difference, especially once you hit 2-3 weeks of lagering. That's really where the crystal clarity and clean flavor develops.

If you truly have room in the fridge only for a few bottles, consider drinking just one at a time and keeping an assembly line going, where you take one, replace one, allowing them to keep in the cold for at least 2 weeks.

As someone who makes 70% lagers, I’ll echo what others have said: do a real lager ferment and real lager storage.

This warm lager business is okay, and the fact that it can be done without negative side effects is not the same as saying there is no difference.

Do it right.

I'd ferment at lager temp . Then when fermentation is about 75% bump up your temp a few degrees a day until your at 66. Leave at 66 for a few days , bottle and let em carb up then in 2 weeks crack one . If carbination is good put all the bottles into your fermentation fridge unless you have another batch fermenting.

Totally second the 2-3 weeks cold store for lagers, even more time benefits darker more complex ones. I keep them 30-32F, they are best if you can wait until they clear and settled cold. After a week week or three lagering, they will clear out. They really shine if you have enough in pipe line to let your beer lager, as in store cold.

Of course, if you have less aged lagers, if they were well made, they will taste good too, fresh and flavor full, to affirm those who cant wait to drink it 'cause it already tastes great. I split the difference and probably drink 3/4 of batch nicely lagered, but enjoy the fresh stuff too. If you are ever sharing brew that is not fully lagered and cloudy, call it an IPL. They always enjoy it then

As for the warmer lagers I've tried w 34/70, they came out as good drinkable beer, but not the crispness of cold fermented and settled lagers. The warm ones I made came out like good cream ale or something, nothing special, but good drinking all the same, served nice and cold.

Unless you're planning to brew again soon I'd consider putting the bottles in your fermentation fridge. Maybe even do something you can ferment at room temperature in the mean time like a saison or Kveik beer. I'm in the same boat, I can only use my fermentation fridge for bulk storing my bottles.

Back