My airlock is ready to blow!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a batch of BM's Kolsch recipe Sunday. I just woke up and the airlock looks like it's ready to blow. There some krausen coming out of the top of the airlock. Bubbles are coming out of the little holes of the airlock. How can I or should I relieve the pressure? The top of the bucket is barely hanging on...:eek:

Pull the airlock and replace it with a blowoff hose. You can also unseat the seal of the bucket. This will allow the excess pressure to vent.

What size tube fits in the airlock?

3-piece airlock? 3/8" ID tubing will do the trick. It also helps if you snap out the little cross-piece in the bottom of the airlock. This will alleviate any potential for clogging with hop bits and drying krausen.

You can always slightly crack open one of the sides of the bucket if you don't have a way of rigging up a blow-off tube.

I'll use a blow off hose next time. I'm staring at the bucket right now. It looks like I dragged it behind my car for a few miles. Wort on the top and sides of the bucket..I hope it's ok..

I'll use a blow off hose next time. I'm staring at the bucket right now. It looks like I dragged it behind my car for a few miles. Wort on the top and sides of the bucket..I hope it's ok..

I can almost guarantee its perfectly fine! Only problem with that active fermentations is you typically lose a little bit of volume but that's no biggie. At least you had complete reassurance your yeast was kicking arse!

Or if you would like to have some fun, don't do anything, let 'er blow, take pics and be sure to post them! I love seeing that!

Back