My first AG coming up, which sparge method?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Mojo Rising

Reaction score
<Key Darth Vader Soundtrack> My single tier system is now complete!

I have a false bottom in my MLT and I am ready to rock and roll, but I am unsure on which sparge method is going to give me the best results. I could fly sparge with the addition of a quickly made arm or could batch. Then there are double batchs, mash outs and no mash outs. For a new AGer what should I go with so I am satisfied with my efficency and FG of my brew?

Thanks as always!!

It depends what you are comfortable with. I batch sparged the first time and have every time since then. I think it is pretty easy and for the most part works for all kinds of beers. I have never fly sparged but I am sure that it cannot be much harder.

Mr. Mojo Rising said:
<Key Darth Vader Soundtrack> My single tier system is now complete!

I have a false bottom in my MLT and I am ready to rock and roll, but I am unsure on which sparge method is going to give me the best results. I could fly sparge with the addition of a quickly made arm or could batch. Then there are double batchs, mash outs and no mash outs. For a new AGer what should I go with so I am satisfied with my efficency and FG of my brew?

Thanks as always!!

Try both ways. I like "Batch sparging" as it is easier and faster. I can get 80 % EFF doing it this way. I mash 75 minutes at 150F for most of my ales. Then again I kike drier beers. That's my 2 cents. :mug:

I too would say batch sparge, with a single infusion on your first AG brew. keep the number of variables low and the process simple for the first go.

and honestly, I've been in the upper 70's for efficiency with single infusion, batch sparge, no mash-out.

I think efficiency has more to do with your grain crush and water chemistry.

Having tried both methods, I find that fly sparging is about 5% more efficient (85% vs 80%), but fly sparging requires much more time (for me, it's 90 minutes vs 20 minutes).
I'd batch sparge for the first few brews, and then try fly sparging if you want to.
No matter which way you go, you want to keep the sparge up to a temperature of 165 to 170 degrees as this makes a big difference in efficiency. I find that mashing out with nearly 1g of almost boiling water raises the temperature correctly, which means that all my sparge water can be 170.
If you do fly sparge, the mash out is much more important, and the sparge water will have to be hotter as it cools considerably during the transfer from the HLT through the tubing to the sparge arm.

Hope this helps

-a.

I started with fly sparging and switched to batch. I get better efficiency with batch sparging (your mileage will vary) and it's much easier than fly sparging. It's not a bad idea to gain experience with both methods, because the day will come when the grain bill pushes the limits of your system and you have no choice but fly sparging.

As you can see you will get many different answers from people here. In my case I started batch sparging and it totally sucked for me with 60% efficiency and after 3 tries I gave up on it. I now fly sparge and hit 82- 87% efficiency every time and I am very happy with that. Yes it does take me 60-80 to sparge but it is not dead time as I am getting other things ready to go in that time. I would suggest try one of each and see what works better for "Your" system, good luck.

Latest posts

Back