My girlfriend dragged me to a smoothie shop....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alchemy

Reaction score
was looking at the menu and....

smoothie.jpg

Yeast has been known to be good for you for a long time... just look at Vegemite.

It's not a "hipster" thing. Dead brewers yeast (which we call yeast hulls and often use for stuck fermentations) is sold at every health food store, added to many of our foods and drinks, and even put into pet food. It's a rich source of vitamin be complex. That's why we encourage folks to not freak out and drink the yeast...It's good for us.

It's been known for centuries, in fact the Belgians worship it for it's health benefits.

brewersyeast.jpg

It's not a "hipster" thing.

hip·ster/ˈhipstər

Noun: A person who follows the latest trends and fashions.

Are you suggesting that homebrewing and smoothie shops are not hipster?

You can't swing a dead cat without hearing something about microbrew this, homebrew that, wheat grass smoothie this, brewer's yeast that...

It's trendy, aka hipster.

Are you suggesting that homebrewing and smoothie shops are not hipster?

You can't swing a dead cat without hearing something about microbrew this, homebrew that, wheat grass smoothie this, brewer's yeast that...

It's trendy, aka hipster.

Homebrewing predates any current trends. I don't think making a resurgence makes it hip- and considering the average "hipster" talks about microbrews while drinking PBR, I think we can safely discount them.
I'd say the same about the resurgence of using brewer's yeast, an ancient foodstuff, versus using modern commercial vitamin enrichment.
Just because they think it's new and trendy, doesn't mean it's anything but reinventing the wheel.

Back