Need opinion on dryhopping a IIPA....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StudentBrewer

Reaction score
I'd like some opinions on what to use for a dry hop in my first attempt at an IIPA. I have Cascade, Centennial, and Amarillo on hand.

Secondly, this was sort of an experimental batch, so I only made a 3 gallon batch (to fit my 3 gallon carboy). I'm wondering whether I should use one ounce for DH or should I go for 2oz?

Thanks

I'd go with 3/4 oz of Amarillo and 1/2 oz of Centennial. Everybody in the PNW loads up on Cascades, so brew different!

use any or all of them...theyre all similar or interchangable, combining them will add some complexity...for 3 g. i would use 1-3 ounces.

I plan on brewing a Pale Ale next weekend and I would like to know when to add hops for a dry hopping. in the primary or secondary. I don't want o make it overly hopppy but sort of along the lines of a Serra Pale Ale
I plan on using 1 oz Centennial hops for bittering and a .5 oz cascades at the 5 min mark and .05 oz cacades at flame off.
or do you think I even need to dry hop??
Oh this is a five gallon batch. of mostly Pale Ale malt with some crystal 40, and carahell for adjuncts. Thanks.
I have been brewing mostly wheat beers of late.

snaproll,

SNPA is made with Magnum, Perle and Cascades. They have that posted on the SN website

One clone recipe says to use 1oz Magnum for 60 minutes.
.5 oz Perle at 15 minutes left.
1 oz Cascade at 1 minute left.

dry hop with .5 oz Cascade.

If you are doing a full 5 gallon wort boil, the bittering hops could be cut back a tad.

Edited to add: dry hopping is almost always done in the secondary.

I'd go with 3/4 oz of Amarillo and 1/2 oz of Centennial. Everybody in the PNW loads up on Cascades, so brew different!

I think I might give this a try, sounds tasty! I'll admit that I have been dryhopping with cascades a lot. I think it's time for a change. Thanks everybody.

Latest posts

Back