NEIPA & LODO Bottling Success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBRUTOO

Reaction score
Bottling NEIPA's has been said to be a terrible idea due to oxidation. I set out to try to bottle condition a NEIPA with cheap and effective LODO (low oxygen) techniques which seems to work well for those that don't keg.

Summary:
Modified sodastream bottle used to purge and force transfer beer to bottles which used sugar cubes to naturally carbonate.

The recipe is a rather straightforward NEIPA with Citra (6oz), Mosaic (4oz) and El Dorado (4oz) hops with 1318 yeast. Hops went in two batches split evenly with half at whirlpool and half 48hrs post yeast pitch. Link to the general recipe is here.

For this batch I limited O2 in as many areas as possible:
  1. Preboil 9 gallons of mash water (distilled with added salts per link above)
  2. Crushed grains lowered slowly into kettle with BIAB method once strike temp hit.
  3. Limited gentle stirring of mash
  4. Mash cover applied for majority of mash (round pizza pan that fit inside the kettle)
  5. Low boil/simmer for 60 mins after grains removed from kettle.
  6. Quick cool down with chiller to 170 and half hops added for hop stand while cooling down to fermentation temp (gently stirred)
  7. Drained wort from kettle to a sanitized carboy (net around 5.5 gallons)
  8. Pitched yeast shook, installed blow off tube and let sit in the bath tub full of room temp water to control fermentation temps
  9. After 48hrs put in first and final dry hop at high krausen (prep for quick drop and reseal)
  10. After 10 days from brew day bottled with the following:
  11. Sanitized each bottle and placed a single sugar cube into each (3 per 1 liter flip top).
  12. Purged each bottle with a quick blast of CO2 from custom sodastream purge setup (see picture). Did 12 at a time to allow for batch capping.
  13. Force transferred beer directly from carboy using Bottling cane and custom sodastream CO2 purge setup (see picture)into each bottle.
  14. Let age for 10ish days and enjoyed over the course of the next month with pretty consistent flavor and minimal color change. Did loose a bit of the haze but still tasty.
Sodastream setup uses an old sodastream bottle the I drilled a hole in and installed a half turn 1/8 valve used in drip irrigation. I then ran hose from that valve to the carboy cap with the Bottling cane into the carboy. I used plenty of zip ties to keep tight seals and simply pushed the sodastream button a few times to pressurize the carboy. Since I had the sodastream it was a quick cheap way to get CO2 for purging/transfers!

Picture of custom sodastream setup (4/4)
full

Picture of beer 4 days after bottle day (4/8)
full

Picture 1 month after bottle day (5/9)
full

Last edited by a moderator:
I bottle, and have had my NEIPA's last for 3 months with no visual changes at all. Have not tried longer than that. I purge the bottles with CO2. There is no reason to fear bottling :)

Great setup and method!

Do you get your Sodastream CO2 cartridges filled? Even so, they must be your single largest expense.

Maybe time to get a CO2 tank with regulator?

Back