new and already made first big oops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spam

Reaction score
Hi all, new to brewing here. I got my kit in the other day and started making preparations,cleaning,sorting,and scrubbing EVERYTHING in my kitchen determined to do it rite the first time. well I got everything clean and ready to go so i went into the fridge ,grabbed my liquid yeast pack and gave it a good smack and placed it out of harms way(or so i thought) on the top of the toaster-oven. the pack began to rise within hours. the next day I stood in the kitchen enjoying a freshly toasted english muffin and thats when i saw my yeast pack on top of the toaster that i had just used! O-BLANK I said!!!!! I dont know how hot the yeast got but it was pretty hot. I tested a bag of water in the same location for the same time and it reached 95 at one end and 140 on the other side. Well that day i figured i had better get to brewing so i just brewed as per the instructions. it has been 24 hours now and no signs of fermentation :( Is my yeast dead? more time? can i add more yeast? dump the wort and try again? PLEASE HELP!

Hi all, new to brewing here. I got my kit in the other day and started making preparations,cleaning,sorting,and scrubbing EVERYTHING in my kitchen determined to do it rite the first time. well I got everything clean and ready to go so i went into the fridge ,grabbed my liquid yeast pack and gave it a good smack and placed it out of harms way(or so i thought) on the top of the toaster-oven. the pack began to rise within hours. the next day I stood in the kitchen enjoying a freshly toasted english muffin and thats when i saw my yeast pack on top of the toaster that i had just used! O-BLANK I said!!!!! I dont know how hot the yeast got but it was pretty hot. I tested a bag of water in the same location for the same time and it reached 95 at one end and 140 on the other side. Well that day i figured i had better get to brewing so i just brewed as per the instructions. it has been 24 hours now and no signs of fermentation :( Is my yeast dead? more time? can i add more yeast? dump the wort and try again? PLEASE HELP!

Wait up to 72 hours to see if there will be fermentation, and if not then repitch. Do not use your airlock as a gauge for the absence activity, only a hydrometer can tell you that.

Chill. One day is nothing. Give it two days. If it doesn't start fermenting you can always pitch more yeast provided your wort is fairly sterile. Do have a home brew store nearby where you can get more yeast if you wanted?

well if ur worried the yeast is dead you could always just add another pack of the same to it with out anything bad happening but i think the sooner you get the yeast going the better if it was me i would just add a new pack of yeast just in case , most of my beers start fermenting within 24 hours

ok thanks guys,went to my local store and got more yeast and pitched it! wont make that mistake again...

ok thanks guys,went to my local store and got more yeast and pitched it! wont make that mistake again...

So two people say wait, one says repitch and you go with the minority vote? :confused: Patience is a virtue in home brewing! Did you check anything with a hydrometer before repitching?

regardless of anything theres nothing to lose in my book by repitching yeast other then a few bucks , it can only help to have the extra healthy yeast , but thats just what i would do i that situation.

Back