New electric brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninoid

Reaction score
I build my new brew kettle with electric heater.

So far I have used the same system but a plastic bucket. Now I got a 33L stainless steel pot and installed a 230V / 2000W heater taked from a 1.7L plastic water kettle.
It cost about $ 130 (the pot was about $ 100).

I did two BIAB brews in the bathtub of my apartment and it works perfectly.

kettle.jpg
boil.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting. How are you controlling the temps / power to the element? And to be safe, I hope you have a GCFI outlet.

Interesting. How are you controlling the temps / power to the element? And to be safe, I hope you have a GCFI outlet.

Digital thermometer.
It is safe. The shower tub is plastic, and I use a plastic mixing paddle.
No great temperature control is required. I heat the water to 70'C, put the grain in, after 60 minutes I take grain out and boil wort.
Electrical plug is with grounding.

Digital thermometer.
It is safe. The shower tub is plastic, and I use a plastic mixing paddle.
No great temperature control is required. I heat the water to 70'C, put the grain in, after 60 minutes I take grain out and boil wort.
Electrical plug is with grounding.
If you're not using this on a GFCI outlet, stop right now. A grounded plug doesnt solve a short. The vessel might be plastic, but the liquid is a conductor, and one shorted wire into liquid means zap.

Yeah still taking an electricution risk there without a gfci but its your to take. Dont want to be a nag but just pointing out 240v can kill a lot faster than 120v.

No electrical risk. Pot is connected to ground.
That does not help without a Ground fault interrupt breaker. you would still be dead by the time the breaker or fuse would trip this is why they are required in many countries for things like bathrooms kitchen and hot tubs.

Back