Newb PBW Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

40oz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've used PBW a few times and had a small jar that I used on my SS BRew Buckets.

But looking at the instructions I would have to use a hell of a lot should I be reading right for use on say my 20 gal kettle, or larger 15 gal Chronical.

Am I filling my 20 gal kettle full of water to soak for cleaning? Or only partially and using a sponge?

Or am I not soaking? Just a little confused.

Thanks

I dont fully fill anything that isnt just corroded nasty. I generally mix enough for 2 or 3 gallons, then use it to scrub whatever I am cleaning. Kegs are a bit different, but I still only use about 3 gal. I fill my keg a little over half way with PBW added and let it sit for an hour or so. I pull out the gas and liquid fittings, but leave the longer dip tube in the keg. After an hour or so, I put a bucket over the keg and flip it to clean the top. This is sufficient for most kegs that have been well rinsed. On a salvaged keg I have had to leave it to soak for several hours, but the process is the same.

I do full vessel soaks (like kegs) with PBW but that is just the way I roll. If I use a CIP spray ball in a fermenter I only use a couple of gallons to recirculate.

I make my own PBW which works like the 5 Star brand except the price is quite less expensive. If you look up homemade PBW recipe here on HBT, it will pop right up.

I have a 10-gallon kettle. First I'll rinse it as well as I can (sink w/ sprayer).

I'll then add enough water to cover the fittings and dose it with the correct amount of PBW.

Then I'll use paper towel to wash the inside. By spraying it out first, I loosen up or spray off almost all the debris. Washing w/ paper towel and PBW water cleans it up fast. I'll let it sit a few minutes, then do it again. Rinse it out and I'm good to go.

Since it's a kettle I'm boiling in, I'm not overly concerned about perfect cleaning and sanitation being absolutely 100 percent perfect. If I get 99 44/100 percent, I'm satisfied. :)

I have 2 SS Brewtech conical fermenters. I mix PBW with 3 gallons of hot water and throw all the disassembled fittings (valves, pipes, tri-clover clamps, gaskets, etc.) into it to soak for a few hours. I then take a sponge and dip it into the PBW to scrub the conical body/tank itself. Once I'm done soaking the fittings and rinsing them, I reassemble the conical fermenter and pour the 3 gallons of PBW into the conical to both leak check it and to clean the bottom half of the conical. After an hour or so (and assuming no leaks), I drained it and rinse it all out with fresh water.

For kegs, I mix PBW with 3 gallons of hot water, pour it into the rinsed out keg and seal the keg. After a few hours, I turn the keg upside down so the PBW solution can clean the top half of the keg.

I also keep a keg half full with PBW water for cleaning my beer lines and taps. Just hook it up to gas and the beer line, open the tap and let it run for a while.

I have found that is best to simply buy the large size jar of PBW unless you plan to make your own.

Thank you everyone for your feedback and advice.

I'll have to look at that thread for the PBW recipe.

Thanks again!

You can use the PBW over and over again since its for cleaning, not sanizing. I keep about 2.5 gallons on hand in a spare bucket. When it gets funky, I clean the sink, outdoor furniture or other things with it that will get rinsed off.

I never thought of using it to clean other things, but why not. I do think I have the cleanest, most sanitary kitchen sink in the world given the amount of PBW and Starsan that I dump down it.

Back