Newbie doing a first build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven_C

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been doing BIAB over my kitchen stove for a couple years now. My wife now wants me out of the kitchen, and I'd like to use a hoist to hang the bag anyhow, so I'm going for the basement. I'm adding a 5500w element from BrewHardware to my existing kettle and I'm planning to use an Arduino to be a PWM so I can also use it to power some case fans to blow over the SSR. I have a 10ft L6-30 cord that I was thinking of splitting and just running wire (shielded) inside the SSR/Uno casing, with bushings going in and out.

Hoping to do this next week. Am I missing anything?

Shopping List
5500w heating element w/ TC and L6-30P blades
1.5" TC bulkhead
Arduino Uno board
Rotary Encoder module for Uno board
SSR w/ heatsink
Old case for the SSR, Uno, and wiring
Old case fans
L6-30 cord
Wire bushings

An SSR is not like a mechanical switch. It does not disconnect the load device (heating element) from the input voltage, but rather only limits the current to the load. Also, an SSR only switches one of the two hot lines, so without a double pole disconnect (switch or contactor) in the circuit, you still have at least 120V at high current available at the load when the SSR is off. For that reason, all designs that I do (and most professionally designed control panels) have some kind of mechanical disconnect in the load circuit branch.

Also, you want to be sure that the outlet that you plug your controller into is GFCI protected. Fuses/breakers only prevent the wires from catching fire. They do nothing to protect you from electrocution. A GFCI is there to keep you from harm.

Brew on :mug:

Back