No airlock activity...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadicalEd

Reaction score
Ok, made a Schramm inspired mead a couple days ago, 18 lbs of honey with 18 lbs of tart cherries. Appropriate yeast nutrient was added to the must, and the 2 packages of yeast were re-hydrated per instructions with Go-Ferm. As of this morning, there's been no activity in the airlock, 36 hours after pitching. At what point do I being worrying?

I'm used to beer chugging along after an hour or two :p.

What is the current SG, and what was the OG? Are you stirring daily or several times a day? You should have some bubbles coming up from the bottom, even if there is no airlock activity. When you stir, do you get co2 coming out?

You know, I didn't actually grab an OG reading. I'll do that when I get back home from work.

I haven't stirred it yet, but plan on giving it a good de-gassing daily. I have Mix-Stir drill attachment I used to aereate, and plan to use it for the degassing as well.

I'll also check the pH. I spent the money on the meter, I guess I should use it (grimace).

Yeast is Lavlin 71B, 2x 5g packs.

If it matters, 24 hours before I pitched the yeast I used ~75ppm campden, in accordance with the Schramm book.

Thanks again!

The other big question is temperature. If you have it cold, 71B can have a loooooonnnnng lag phase. The Campden tablets won't make an impact.

OK, exiting Defcon 3. I found some activity when I got home late last night :). It has been fed and degassed. Thanks to those who responded!

Back