No-Boil Recipes! New for 2019!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried to brew an all-grain No-Boil NEIPA? I'd be interested in tips/suggestions.

My plan is to heat the wort to 175 and just whirlpool the hops for 20-30 minutes, skipping the boil completely -- since there are no hops added during the boil. (I'll use 2-row for the base instead of my regular pilsner to help keep the DMS away.)

I've seen a lot of DME recipes, but I have to believe it would work with all-grain too, right? Or is there a reason most of the no-boil recipes are using DME? I'm not opposed to using DME (I recently made a partial mash BIAB with 1/2 DME & LME and it turned out good) -- it would certainly shorten my brew day.

Also not seeing LME in the no-boils, so I am guessing people are worried it won't mix in well enough or something?

I'm trying to dial-in my all-grain NEIPA, and I can't do a full boil on my kitchen stove (which I use in the winter). If I don't have to boil, then I bet I could get two kettles up to 175 and end up with 6 gallons into the fermenter.

Thoughts?
DMS is not a problem in no boil as it occurs only beyond temperatures of 75c. Go ahead and try

I have been making a lot of no boil no chill stouts. The head retention and flavour of these beers is excellent imho.

Dry Irish stout

24l batch 75% efficiency
full volume mash
3.5kg Maris Otter
1kg flaked barley
500g roast barley

mash at 65c, mashout at 75c for 15 minutes then into a no chill cube.
The next day i boil 25g of 10AA hops boiled for 30 minutes in 1.5l water with some wyeast nutrient. This should leave about 500ml.

Wyeast 1084 or Kveik (i normally use farmhouse Voss) but my current favourite is 1084.

Rye lager
26l batch
33l water full volume mash

3kg UK lager
1.2kg German rye
1kg German dark Munich
150g acid malt

mashed at 65c for 90m
mashout at 75c for 15m
raise to 80c and drain to no chill cube

50g of Mittlefruh added at mashout
20g of Magnum + nutrient boiled for 30m in 1.5l of water for bittering
Wyeast 2007 yeast
ferment at 10c

Digital copy of Jan/Feb 2020 Zymurgy is available. Two additional no-boil (pasteurize) recipes - brown & stout. Thanks @steverush for sharing these!!

On a related note, there two articles at beersmith.com related to bitterness & IBU estimates at high altitude (lower boiling point) and during whirlpool / hop steep. I have seen these numbers (or similar numbers) elsewhere - nice to have them in a "highly visible" place. As always, with IBU estimates, "the map is not the territory", but the estimates are likely "good enough" to get one close on the 1st attempt at a recipe.

I brewed this today. The great thing i have found with no boil stouts is they are ready to drink in 2 weeks. They also seem to be smoother which suits my palette. Gone back to 1084 for my favourite stout yeast.

No Boil No Chill Oatmeal Stout

25l batch
33l water full volume mash
4kg UK lager malt
800g flaked barley
600g rolled oats
400g UK caramalt
600g roasted barley
150g acid malt
25g 11% magnum boiled for 30 minutes added to wort+ nutrient
wyeast 1084 ferment at 18c raising slowly to 22c

Its ready in about 10 days. I don't cold crash or use finings. Force carb overnight and i start drinking the next day. Add 750g of toasted coconut and 150g of roasted cacoa nibs if you want. I am partial to this and still get decent lacing.

I do no boil LME, usually with steeping grains and occasionally with DME. Thought others might be interested in my LME and steeping grains process.
  1. Put steeping grains in bag in cold water at ratio of approx 1 lb grains:2 L water
  2. Bring up to ~72 C and remove from heat
  3. Steep for 15 minutes (therefore, total time at steeping temps ~25 mins)
  4. Remove grain bag, turn on heat, bring volume up to ~5 L, add any sugar, and bring up to a hint of a boil (95 C at my altitude) then immediate flameout
  5. Add all hops in bag for 25 min hopstand, stirring frequently
  6. Remove hops (hopstand starts at 95C and ends ~70-75C)
  7. Add LME
  8. Add wort to ~15 L cold water in carboy (campden treated)
  9. Top up to 23 L, as required
  10. Stir vigorously
  11. Check temperature (always is between 65-75F for me)
  12. Direct pitch dry yeast (S04, S05, WB06, Belle Saison, etc...no issues)

Takes me about 90 minutes all-in, cleaning up as I go, and I do 2 23L batches simultaneously so it's amazing bang for the buck time wise. The amount of time at pasteurization temps is more than adequate, and steeping and hopstand times are 80-90% efficient vs longer traditional processes, esp. re hops considering I'm at altitude so my boil efficiencies are significantly reduced compared to sea level.

Makes a great "NE-style pale ale", and NEIPAs, as hopstand achieves bitterness with less harshness or at least less lingering harshness. Many anti IPA or anti hoppy PA drinkers like these beers. It has worked well too with hefes, saisons, red ales...trying a porter now so will see how that goes.

I’m building a small batch recipe (2-1/2 gallons).. but I have questions about grain addition.

3lb DME Golden alight
1lb - Maris Otter
.5lb - flaked oat
.5lb - flaked wheat
.25 - Carapils (thinking of removing)

Hops:
.5oz Azacca: 20 min whirlpool 180 degrees
.5oz Citra: 20 min whirlpool 180 degrees
.5oz Moasaic Cryo: 20 min whirlpool 180degrees

.75oz Azacca: dry hop
.75oz Citra: dry hop
.5oz Mosaic Cryo: dry hop

My question is on adding the grains. Am I good to do a mini-mash for 30 minutes, then raise the temperature to 180 for the hop whirlpool and add the DME at the end? Or should I add the DME when I mash the grains?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

My question is on adding the grains. Am I good to do a mini-mash for 30 minutes, then raise the temperature to 180 for the hop whirlpool and add the DME at the end? Or should I add the DME when I mash the grains?

Mini-mash with just the grains.

I'll suggest it's a personal decision as to whether or not to add the DME at the start or the end of the hop whirlpool. Personally, I'd add the DME at the start of the hop whirlpool - as my recent experiences suggest that reasonably fresh (packaged within last 9 - 12 months) 'golden light' DME at 180F for 30 minutes won't darken much - maybe 1 or 2 SRM. If color really matters, Pilsen DME is an alternative.

Thanks to all the NB enthusiast for keeping the thread alive. Finally getting back into a brewing groove again after almost 16months straight of back yard re-modeling. My latest brews are boil but last IPA was 10min. Once pipeline gets going definitely getting NB testing again. 1st is that all DME Hefe which was so popular but instead of a no-heat, will ramp to 180F then cool.

Has anyone done any Pilsner/Lager or Märzen style no Boils? I am attempting 2.5 Gallons of Pilsen DME (3lbs) , Hellertau hop tea (1 oz) and K-97. Got a furious ferment after 24 hours. Hoping to get something close to a light pseudo- lager.

Has anyone done any Pilsner/Lager or Märzen style no Boils? I am attempting 2.5 Gallons of Pilsen DME (3lbs) , Hellertau hop tea (1 oz) and K-97. Got a furious ferment after 24 hours. Hoping to get something close to a light pseudo- lager.
I recently did a Marzen that came out pretty good.

I recently did a Marzen that came out pretty good.
Would you mind providing recipe/process?
On my Pilsner/Lager, I cold pitched the DME, added the boiled Hop tea after a 20 minute steep and pitched the yeast dry. Now I am just waiting for the krausen to drop and have the ferment finish before I cold crash and force carb.

Thinking a Vienna Lager could also do well with Golden LME but worry about residual sweetness.

Would you mind providing recipe/process?
On my Pilsner/Lager, I cold pitched the DME, added the boiled Hop tea after a 20 minute steep and pitched the yeast dry. Now I am just waiting for the krausen to drop and have the ferment finish before I cold crash and force carb.

Thinking a Vienna Lager could also do well with Golden LME but worry about residual sweetness.
2.2 gallons, 1.060 to 1.014
3.25 lbs Williams munich lme
.25 lb Williams Baltic black lme
.2 oz saaz at 3.2%
1 pack S-189 plus
.5 pack diamond
2 ozs honey to prime
I heated 2 quarts of filtered water to 200f and thoroughly mixed in the Baltic black lme. Then I added the hops and let them steep. After 30 minutes I removed the hops and thoroughly mixed in the munich lme. Then I mixed in 6 quarts of ice cold filtered water and pitched the yeast

Irish dry stout

26l batch
OG 1047
FG 1010
ABV 4.9%
mash at 62c for 90m
75c mashout for 20m or 30m
straight into a no chill cube

4kg maris otter
500g roast barley
800g flaked barley
100g chocolate
300g crystal 60

29 IBU
35g 7.6%AA challenger boiled in 1.25l water for 30m
nutient added near end of boil
wyeast 1084
start ferment cold and raise to 21 slowly
keg day 10 to 14
i don't cold crash as it floccs enough

I normally got for 1044 OG but the extra points are not noticable here. I have made this a lot now sometimes with Voss instead of 1084.

Interesting to see people doing raw lagers. I have probably done around ten but i have resorted to boiling all of them as i get a more consistent result. I would love to know what people think the difference in flavour with lagers is. I can only describe is as a straw like quality, not really an off flavour but something i prefer not to have in my beer.

2.2 gallons, 1.060 to 1.014
3.25 lbs Williams munich lme
.25 lb Williams Baltic black lme
.2 oz saaz at 3.2%
1 pack S-189 plus
.5 pack diamond
2 ozs honey to prime
I heated 2 quarts of filtered water to 200f and thoroughly mixed in the Baltic black lme. Then I added the hops and let them steep. After 30 minutes I removed the hops and thoroughly mixed in the munich lme. Then I mixed in 6 quarts of ice cold filtered water and pitched the yeast
Did you cold crash for clarity?

Interesting to see people doing raw lagers. I have probably done around ten but i have resorted to boiling all of them as i get a more consistent result. I would love to know what people think the difference in flavour with lagers is. I can only describe is as a straw like quality, not really an off flavour but something i prefer not to have in my beer.
What have you done to clear the beer?

What have you done to clear the beer?
I do nothing, i force carb and start drinking the next day. My fridges are always full crashing lagers and i am particular about them being crystal clear but this gets away without it. There is a bit more yeast in the corny at the end than if i crashed it but not much and i think it must drop fast. I much prefer not to boil my stouts as i get much better lacing and head retention. This photo was taken after 18 hours force carbing and although its still a bit bubbly there is plenty stuck around the edge of the glass.
DSC_2938.JPG
DSC_2941.JPG

No Boil Juice Bomb NEIPA 2.5 gallon.

3.3lbs Bavarian DME
4oz Simcoe
1 pack S-04

Pitch DME into room temperature water. Mix. Pitch yeast.
wait 24 hours till high Krausen then dry hop for 5-7 days.
Cold crash 24 hours, then burst carb.

trying this today.

F9F14C39-F301-47F0-BDDD-88D2597BCC0C.jpeg

No Boil Lager/ ale. Chill haze. 18hr burst carb. Light, effervescent, white pepper and straw flavor. Need to steep hops longer or do a whirlpool next time.

Last edited:
Interesting thread! But I just had to give PianoMan a hard time about stealing Frost back up there. We loved him at UCF!

Has anyone been able to brew a clear steam beer using DME and no boil? I fear there is too much protein left over to drop clear without using a fining agent.

Has anyone been able to brew a clear steam beer using DME and no boil? I fear there is too much protein left over to drop clear without using a fining agent.
I cant say about dme but i managed to clear raw all grain lagers with just isinglass.

I was thinking of doing a California Common - 2.5 Gallons as follows:

3 lb Golden Light DME
1.5 oz Northern Brewer
1 packet of S-05 or Wyeast California Lager (favoring the Wyeast)

Intend to cold pitch DME and yeast with a 30 minute brewed hop tea.
Maybe a dry hop addition of another .5 oz Northern brewer --- opinions?

Anyone tried something similar?

I posted one of the original no boil thread (on Raw Ale) a few years ago and just came back after a couple years off forums to see what's up. Finding this is so awesome, and I have continued to make awesome stuff without boiling. I'm probably 100 beers-ish in at this point in no boil. Not a single time have I have an perceptible DMS, infection, or any other issue. There's a hazy ipa brewery out here now doing "RAW IPAs" (Buttonwoods Brewery) and they are amazing. Keep up the great work all!

I watched a video or two about this and plan to give it a try in a few weeks.
Steep 1/2 lb of caramunich and vienna for color
This will get a 15 minute boil for my bittering hops, 1oz Magnum
add at end of boil for flavor and aroma:
2 oz Citra
2 oz Azacca
2 oz Moteuka
3.5 lbs DME
top to 2.75 gallons
Voss Kveik

With any luck be drinking it mid September.

I watched a video or two about this and plan to give it a try in a few weeks.
Steep 1/2 lb of caramunich and vienna for color
This will get a 15 minute boil for my bittering hops, 1oz Magnum
add at end of boil for flavor and aroma:
2 oz Citra
2 oz Azacca
2 oz Moteuka
3.5 lbs DME
top to 2.75 gallons
Voss Kveik

With any luck be drinking it mid September.

I did an all grain no boil using that yeast a couple months back. Gravity went from 1.055 to 1.000 in 4 days @90f. I didn't expect the gravity to drop that far. Brewing another this afternoon and will see if I get the same results.

150f mash for 1 hr.
Pulled bag and 30 min hop stand around 140f
Dry hopped

Had a very thin mouthfeel for a couple weeks then got very tasty. Just a bit to much alcohol for my taste.

784CEB12-E35F-4B1A-95A6-53EFFCA53E8B.jpeg
So I did a version of an Oktoberfest /Marzen that turned out well.

Boiled 2 gallons of water and - steeped carapils and caramel till start of boil. Pulled grain bag and pitched in Golden DME. Boiled 5 minutes then pulled off heats and steeped 1oz Saaz and .5 oz Hellertau. Let the hops steep 40 minutes before removing them. Cooled wort to ~70 degrees before pitching S-189. After primary ferment(4 days) I put beer in lager fridge and I dry hopped with .5 hellertau for 2 days. Pulled the hops and conditioned another 5 days before kegging and force carb over night.

It’s lighter then a typical marzen, not as malty, more similar to HB Oktoberfest as opposed to a HP or Spaten. Pics to come.

Last edited:
Gave this process a try as PianoMan originally posted. Dissolved 6 lbs of Amber DME into 5 gallons of water. Added about an ounce each of Amarillo, Cascade and 1/2 oz of Simcoe into about a gallon of boiling water with half a cup of brown sugar. Boiled for about 10 minutes and let simmer on low for 15 more. Dumped in fermenter, stirred anp pitched safeale 05.

Easy peazy.

Last edited:
Thinking of doing a Par-Boil Spiced Christmas Beer:

2.5 gallons with DME (Golden Light).
Simcoe Hop during 5 minute boil and 20 steep for IBUs.
2 gallon boil then replace get to 2.5 with Cranberry Juice.
Pitch with S-05 yeast.
Then at High Krausen - "dry hop" cinnamon, all spice and maybe orange rind for a few days.
Cold Crash and then force carb...

Anyone see anything wrong with this idea?

Thanks for the input

Back