No fizzies in my bottle.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuchalain

Reaction score
I just bottled my first beer, it's day two and I have no signs of fizzies. The bottles are still soft, no change from bottling day. I added the sugars to the bottles during bottling like I read to do. Is this normal, or should I be worried. And if it's not normal, what can I do to fix it? The beer is just a pale ale starter kit.

Thanks,

Cuch.

Two days is not nearly enough, give it some more time.

I'd check it in a week or two, three preferably.

Also, what temperature are you storing them at?

let me get this straight they have been bottled for 2 days? if so it way to early to even think about carbonation 7-14 days minimum at 70°.

Uh oh! Day two and still no carbonation? That's bad news! :D

Calm down and give it a couple more weeks minimum. Your not going to have any carbonation after two days so don't stress it.

Lol. Dumb post I guess. Just got nervous, because when I originally fermented, bubbles came up quick. I've got them stored at 70 degrees, out of light. Thanks all, sorry for the dumb question. The book that came with the kit said a week. I'll let them sit for what you guys said, min 2 weeks. What does it take to kill yeast during the fermentation-->bottling phases? Like, is it possible to bottle beer and not have any yeast left to produce the carbonation?

Thx,

Cuch.

Yes, relax. Your bottles will take a couple weeks to carbonate. Three is even better. Nothing is wrong.

If you added something like Campden tablets to your fermenter, it might kill the yeast. Also, if you heat or froze your beer it would kill your yeast. Aside from that, the only thing that will happen to your yeast is, it will go dormant and drop to the bottom of the fermenter. But it takes months for enough of the yeast to settle to become a problem. Just because yeast is dormant doesn't mean it will not become active again, it just takes longer.

only dump question is the one not asked...other than adding chemicals or heating there will always be some viable yeast in homebrew. Only time its really a concern is High alcohol brews like barley wines .

Lol. Dumb post I guess. Just got nervous, because when I originally fermented, :)bubbles came up quick. I've got them stored at 70 degrees, out of light. Thanks all, sorry for the dumb question. The book that came with the kit said a week. I'll let them sit for what you guys said, min 2 weeks. What does it take to kill yeast during the fermentation-->bottling phases? Like, is it possible to bottle beer and not have any yeast left to produce the carbonation?

Thx,

Cuch.

Unless you did something Extremely drastic you didn't kill the yeast :).

The yeast ferments fairly quickly in the bottle, but the head space needs to fill. Than the CO2 needs to dissolve into the liquid. A few days chill after this process helps dissolve further CO2. This takes time so don't worry.

The way I understand it, (I may be wrong) the yeast goes crazy in the fermenter and consumes almost all the sugars. During this time, it reproduces like crazy. When the food, (sugars) run low, the yeast starts going dormant. Kinda like hibernation. There is still plenty of the yeast floating around in the beer, because it settles to the bottom VERY slowly. Its just in a dormant state, waiting for more sugar to arrive. When you bottle, you add a tiny bit of sugar and cap it off. It takes a while (a week or two) for the little bit of yeast that is suspended in the beer to come back out of hibernation and start consuming the sugars. When the sugars have been eaten and turned into CO2, the yeasties go dormant again and most of it eventually settles to the bottom of the bottle.

While this does sound like a dumb question now..... on my first batch I Had gone through about 30 bottles in a week and a half. Hard to be patient on that first one

Latest posts

Back