Normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier-Brewer

Reaction score
Does this look normal for a nut brown ale after 12 days in the primary? It's my first brew and I had planned on bottling it tomorrow so I can brew another batch. Would it clear off some in the secondary or just bottle it? It tasted alright, maybe a bit weak and lacking body. The FG was at 1.013 2 days ago, OG was 1.045. This is Northern's Nut Brow Ale with specialty grains. The picture is through a better bottle.

35c23638.jpg

Looks likes the krausen's still haven't completely fallen yet. Why don't you give it two more weeks in primary then bottle it? These days we skip primary and opt for long primaries instead.

Looks likes the krausen's still haven't completely fallen yet. Why don't you give it two more weeks in primary then bottle it? These days we skip primary and opt for long primaries instead.

Well, I was hoping to at least rack it to a secondary so I can have the primary to get another batch started. I need to get another primary and probably will, but that's a week or more off. Will it hurt anything if I move it to the secondary?

Well, I was hoping to at least rack it to a secondary so I can have the primary to get another batch started. I need to get another primary and probably will, but that's a week or more off. Will it hurt anything if I move it to the secondary?

As Revvy has already stated, better to leave it on the yeast...

Many of us have found we get much better brews when leaving them on the yeast for at least 3-4 weeks. Racking to a bright tank isn't necessary... Especially when brewing with ale yeast.

Personally, I've been letting my brews sit on the yeast for 3-6 weeks and have been getting great results. I'm even planning on dry hopping a brew in primary (in another 2 weeks it gets the hops, then bottled after 7 days, putting it at about a month total)...

Bigger brews, with higher OG's get the longer amount of time on the yeast. Lower OG brews usually get the shorter amount of time on the yeast. BUT, I won't bottle until I've had a chance to taste the brew to make sure it's actually ready. Leaving it on the yeast actually gets this to happen faster.

Go for it. Rack it and get your next batch going.

Thanks for all of the responses. I'll probably rack it over tomorrow so I can get my Phat Tyre going. I'll need to get another primary because after the Phat Tyre I'm trying Yoopers DFH 60 Minute clone and since I can't buy DFH here anymore and I want to get that going as soon as I can, my stash won't last long (6-8 weeks). Those two can sit on the cake a while, the nut brown isn't a very big beer anyway, mainly for my Lite drinking buddies.

Back