NZ Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beavbuff47

Reaction score
recently got a bunch of NZ hops. Haven’t used any like them before. Any recommendations/recipes/types for the following varieties of hops:
- Motueka
- Kohatu
- Rakau
- Waimea

They’re all in pellet form.

Thanks!

They’re all great hops. Love using hops from NZ. They’re very different than even the Aussie hops.

Waimea and Rakau are a little more Piney and are the higher alpha of the bunch.

Kohatu and Motueka are a little more tropical. Motueka has a really cool lime like character to it and is a daughter of Saaz actually. (A lot of the NZ Hops are offspring of noble hop varieties.)

Motueka can be a little grassy at times and almost all the NZ varieties while having really cool fruit character are also prone to some odd machine oil like notes and grass.

Motueka is great as a single hop in a Pils.

All would be great in a Pale Ale or IPA.

In general think fairly simple, pale-ish sessionable beers - it's become quite a thing for British brewers to put out a NZ-hopped golden ale of 4.2-4.4% when the new crop arrives in our summer, and BJCP recently recognised NZ Pilsner as an official style recommending "Motueka, Riwake, Nelson Sauvin, often with Pacific Jade for bittering".

I think I've some Kohatu kicking round the fridge somewhere, the general opinion seems to be that it's a great supporting act but maybe a bit too one-dimensional to be the headliner.

A NZ saison (with Nelson, Motueka and either Rakau or Wai Iti+Pacific Jade depending what you read) was the star IMO of last year's collaboration box by Fuller's, and as per my sig, I'm planning something in that line soon.

I’ve got an “Italian” style Pils with all Wakatu that’s layering right now. First sample tasted great the other day. Hopefully in another 5-6 weeks it’ll taste even better

Back