O2 for CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerhead

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a friend who works at the local fire department, and as such, deals with a lot of the company's O2 tanks.

My question is, is it possible for me, if I get one of these O2 tanks, to fill the tank with CO2 instead, and then just use that for kegging? It would save me a lot of the cost of a CO2 system. And if I can, will all of the same equipment apply here as for a regular CO2 tank?

-Cheers :mug:

Beerhead said:
Hey guys,

I have a friend who works at the local fire department, and as such, deals with a lot of the company's O2 tanks.

My question is, is it possible for me, if I get one of these O2 tanks, to fill the tank with CO2 instead, and then just use that for kegging? It would save me a lot of the cost of a CO2 system. And if I can, will all of the same equipment apply here as for a regular CO2 tank?

-Cheers :mug:
The tanks are different and they will not cross fill. I did the reverse of this a few years ago where I was given a CO2 tank and wanted an O2 tank for welding tanks. I went to a welding supply and they just exchanged it (with a new tank!) and charged for a fill. Don't know if it could be that simple for you...

I work at a hospital, and if I remember correctly ALL gas tanks have different fittings to prevent an accident (like someone connecting nitrogren instead of oxygen). So, only 02 regulators work with O2, etc. Also, I don't think anyone would refill an o2 tank with co2 for liability reasons.

But, I could be wrong. It's been known to happen.......

Lorena

lorenae said:
. So, only 02 regulators work with O2, etc.

Also, I don't think anyone would refill an o2 tank with co2 for liability reasons.

Yeah I figured that, oh well, it was worth a shot, thanks guys.

Just a small side comment. As a member of a fire dept, I don't thiink I would take kindly to someone who worked for us to be giving away expensive equipment that the taxpayers(of which i am one) are footing the bill for.:mad:

2nd Street Brewery said:
Just a small side comment. As a member of a fire dept, I don't thiink I would take kindly to someone who worked for us to be giving away expensive equipment that the taxpayers(of which i am one) are footing the bill for.:mad:

It wasn't a new tank that I was looking for, and I had only mentioned it to my friend, and hadn't really gotten into it. But I assure you that I was not looking to steal a new O2 tank, just possibly buy an old and unused tank for cheaper than a new tank. I understand where you are comming from though.

Cheers:mug:

Back