Odd color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why my hefeweizen is this color . Its never turned out this opaque before.

6 # white wheat
4 # 2 row

Mashed @153 60min

Wlp hefeweizen yeast

Attachments

• 20210109_102742.jpg
    20210109_102742.jpg
    716.1 KB · Views: 117
The colour is gorgeous! What exactly is the issue? Are you displeased that the colour is very pale or because it is hazy, or both? The colour will appear darker when the haze is not as thick. Maybe you expected it to be tad orangey?

The colour is gorgeous! What exactly is the issue? Are you displeased that the colour is very pale or because it is hazy, or both? The colour will appear darker when the haze is not as thick. Maybe you expected it to be tad orangey?

It taste great. Its just whiter then any other hef ive brewed .

It could be protein haze. Many wheat varieties are much higher in protein than barley and, because there really aren’t any wheats developed specifically for malting, a particular lot of malted wheat may be higher in protein than is desireable.

All wheat varieties will produce some haze because most of the proteins in wheat have a different molecular structure than barley proteins. Article here if anyone wants to know a little more about the science of brewing with wheat.

Its never been this opaque before . Normally a light golden color with white frothy head . Taste is fine but the color just threw me off .

get some of those hop shots i've heard of...think up a name, give each pour a squirt. could be the next big thing! like a nitro tap for NEIPA! lol :mug:

edit: i mean i spray weeds with my hose and a hose sprayer, why not "dry hoping" at the tap with each pour?

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why my hefeweizen is this color . Its never turned out this opaque before.

6 # white wheat
4 # 2 row

Mashed @153 60min

Wlp hefeweizen yeast

Could be the lovibond of the two row used...i know its not traditional but I use MO in my American Wheat Beers and they come out that color as well.

Is that malted or unmalted. If it's raw cereal than a lighter and more opaque appearance is expected. You've basically brewed a Witbier and not a Weizen.

As far as I'm aware it was malted white wheat. I use white wheat quite a bit .

on a serious note, i once brewed a light beer with my homemalt. before i modded my oven to make pale malt. and it was pale, and really wish i could duplicate that beer...it might not sound appealing to some, but it was like drinking sand paper it was so malty.....

i don't know what i did differently, maybe the mash, maybe the boil, maybe my ph adjustments. but it was awesome!

(and gone in a week :()

on a serious note, i once brewed a light beer with my homemalt. before i modded my oven to make pale malt. and it was pale, and really wish i could duplicate that beer...it might not sound appealing to some, but it was like drinking sand paper it was so malty.....

i don't know what i did differently, maybe the mash, maybe the boil, maybe my ph adjustments. but it was awesome!

(and gone in a week :()

I know there are a few of you around here who do your own malting . Thats sounds like a tedious job. Do you malt all kinds of grain?

I know there are a few of you around here who do your own malting . Thats sounds like a tedious job. Do you malt all kinds of grain?

i thought i was the only one? i malt barley, wheat and oats....i WISH i could get rye at a decent price! unfortantly apparently chickens don't like it, but i do! :(

i thought i was the only one? i malt barley, wheat and oats....i WISH i could get rye at a decent price! unfortantly apparently chickens don't like it, but i do! :(

I've never used rye yet . I want to brew a Red with some Rye . There's a Brewery close to me that has a Blood Red Rye and its fantastic. I give all my spent grains to my sister n law . So the chickens eat around the rye or do you not give them anything with rye in it?

I've never used rye yet . I want to brew a Red with some Rye . There's a Brewery close to me that has a Blood Red Rye and its fantastic. I give all my spent grains to my sister n law . So the chickens eat around the rye or do you not give them anything with rye in it?

i LOVE rye. it's like a lost love unfornatley, and i've had store bought they say has rye, but it's not the same...what was it, hop rod rye? when i brewed my own with it, before i learned grain had to be malted to make beer, i tried brewing with 100% rye berries when i was 18 first learning!

if you liked store bought rye beer, you'll love your own brand! it tastes like green pepper, but like better... :mug: don't be shy around rye, or once you go rye....

edit: didn't quite grasp that first read, no i asked for whole rye at the feed store. no one sells it, i assume it just tastes great but less filling :(

Last edited:
Back