Old Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evets

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm an experienced all-grain brewer, but due to health reasons, haven't brewed in about a year. I'd like to get back to it now and was wondering if my old unmilled grain might still be usable. I have over half a sack of Dingemans Pils, a little less than half a sack of Bairds MO and lesser amounts of other grains as well. All of these are at least 1.5 years old now. They've been stored in trash bags in my basement, which is relatively cool and dry.
I think I'm going to brew something tomorrow no matter what. Maybe just add a couple extra pounds and see what happens.
Any thoughts?

Hi guys. I'm an experienced all-grain brewer, but due to health reasons, haven't brewed in about a year. I'd like to get back to it now and was wondering if my old unmilled grain might still be usable. I have over half a sack of Dingemans Pils, a little less than half a sack of Bairds MO and lesser amounts of other grains as well. All of these are at least 1.5 years old now. They've been stored in trash bags in my basement, which is relatively cool and dry.
I think I'm going to brew something tomorrow no matter what. Maybe just add a couple extra pounds and see what happens.
Any thoughts?

Welcome back to brewing!!!!! I'm glad to hear that you're up to brewing again.

As to the grain, I think it'll be ok. What I'd probably to is go down to the basement and taste a few grains. See if they taste good. If they taste stale or a bit "off", don't use them. I'm willing to bet that the majority of them are fine, since they've been stored in a cool and dry place.

Back