One problem with collars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
About a decade ago, I built a keezer based on a 5 cuft chest freezer. I built the collar so it was easily removable, knowing that the freezer would die in time. It served me well until last winter. So, I started looking for a new freezer with the same dimensions, can't find one! All available smaller freezers are slightly wider than deep (front to back); the old one was square.

I am now in the process of converting the collar to a coffin, so I can avoid the problem in the future.

I just assume that the collar is a single use unit. Unless they are still making my exact model if/when my freezer dies I assume I will build a new collar.

I assumed I'd have to build a new collar whenever my keezer dies.

Collars are better than coffin keezers in that you'll have more space + the ability to return the freezer to stock. I imagine for most, this outweighs the need to build a new collar for a future keezer. (not trying to say collars are superior, coffins have their pros)

I assumed I'd have to build a new collar whenever my keezer dies.

Collars are better than coffin keezers in that you'll have more space + the ability to return the freezer to stock. I imagine for most, this outweighs the need to build a new collar for a future keezer. (not trying to say collars are superior, coffins have their pros)

I like the thought of converting to stock, and really tried to keep that option with my mini fridge but I wonder how many of us actually do go back to stock after we have kegs on tap.

I like the thought of converting to stock, and really tried to keep that option with my mini fridge but I wonder how many of us actually do go back to stock after we have kegs on tap.

I agree for most cases. Personally, I've got a 7cu ft 4 tap keezer that will be converted back to stock and used for fermentations when I have enough space for a 15cu ft 8 tap keezer.

Everyone has to make their own decision and do what fits them best. When I change to the larger keezer, I'll probably end up doing either a coffin or run my lines through a wall to build a dispensing station with the keezer portion hidden in a closet / another room.

Back