German Leichtbier Otto's Mustache

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EDF713

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager
Yeast Starter
1L, decanted
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 days 54 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
several days at 64 F
Additional Fermentation
lagered for a couple weeks
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (1.5 SRM) Grain 1 95.7 %
4.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.3 %
2.00 oz Saaz [4.21 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 4 18.8 IBUs
Single infusion 60 minute mash, BIAB at 149 F
60 minute boil
Ferment at 54, Diacetyl rest at 64, lager for a week or two or until clear
Yellow Balanced Profile from Bru'n water
around 3% ABV

I named this beer in honor of Pearl Brewing founder Otto Koehler, and all the Pearl Beer I drank in college in San Antonio (6.99 a case!!!). No, I wasn't trying to make Pearl, but I was looking for a lower gravity/lighter beer to make as a starter beer for a dopplebock. Think baby German Pils. It's lower gravity and light, but plenty tasty. Use whatever continental or noble hops for IBUs of around 20. I had a bunch of Saaz so that's what I used.

This little guy will ferment fast and clear fast, and will taste delicious! Here is a picture, for some reason I can never get one of a full glass.

002.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Recently, I searched recipe forum and could not find a low gravity pilz.
I was thinking of doing something like this but would never have thought to skip the 60 min hops. I think I’ll try your idea of 2 oz at 15 min.
As soon as the keezer empties I’ll give this a shot.
Cheers!

Thanks for posting. Recently, I searched recipe forum and could not find a low gravity pilz.
I was thinking of doing something like this but would never have thought to skip the 60 min hops. I think I’ll try your idea of 2 oz at 15 min.
As soon as the keezer empties I’ll give this a shot.
Cheers!

It’s too tasty not to share! I was going for simplicity, and I’ve been working through a pound bag of these. Make sure the alpha acid content works out, I’ve noticed saaz can vary a lot.

I'm on a kick of lower ABV beers, and was noticing the lack of German lagers that fit the bill. Glad to see that it's doable. Will probably spin this one up this weekend.

I'm on a kick of lower ABV beers, and was noticing the lack of German lagers that fit the bill. Glad to see that it's doable. Will probably spin this one up this weekend.
Try it and post how it turns out! We're definitely getting into light beer season. Next time I do this one I'll probably rework the hops to do a bittering, 15 min and 5 min additions to hit the same IBU.

I done something similar last summer trying to get rid of my extra grain and it turned out to be one of my favorite summer beers I’ve done. It was a 13 gallon batch. I’m fond of BestMaz Heidelberg for some reason.

97% BestMalz Heidelberg
3% Caramunich I

magnum hops at 60 for 25ish ibu

34/70 Got an Og 1.032 Fg 1.009

I'm so glad this thread popped back up! I have brewed this and variations several times. I think of it as a base and have tweaked hops etc. Perfect summer crusher beer. I also use whichever lager yeast I have at the time.

I will say that this beer benefits from time. The first month or so, it's good, just a little flabby. After two months, I can't keep away from it.

Got the freight train rolling on this today. Liberty hops at 60, 10 and F/O. Smells delightful, and I'm in to it for only $15/10 gal.

Unlike @AzOr , neither keg will survive two months aging around here.

Got the freight train rolling on this today. Liberty hops at 60, 10 and F/O. Smells delightful, and I'm in to it for only $15/10 gal.

Unlike @AzOr , neither keg will survive two months aging around here.
I've used Liberty in lagers and a cream ale, that should be tasty. These don't last long for me either, they turn around fast and drink easy!

Back