Outdoor brewing: Sanitary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbw

Reaction score
With the weather promising to get warmer soon I've made a brew pot out of a keg and I plan to put it to use real soon. Are there any tricks or techniques for keeping everything nice and clean in the outdoors? For instance, should I boil with a lid partially on? Thanks!

Robbw said:
With the weather promising to get warmer soon I've made a brew pot out of a keg and I plan to put it to use real soon. Are there any tricks or techniques for keeping everything nice and clean in the outdoors? For instance, should I boil with a lid partially on? Thanks!

You'll be just fine out there. That's where I (have to) brew all the time anyway. There is no need to keep a lid on the boil at all (It wouldn't be good either). Just keep the pot covered with tin foil during chilling and siphoning. But this I would do regardless of inside/outside.

Kai

Aside from leaves, dust, grass clippings, bugs and critters falling into your brew, you really have nothing to worry about if you brew outside. Boiling your brew for an hour kills everything in your wort. It isn't until you cool it that you need to worry about infection.

The way I do it, run the boil with no lid. (If I put a lid on it, it seems to guarentee a nasty, sticky boil over mess) When the boil is complete, take the brew kettle inside, hook up a chiller, and chill the wort. During this time I like to whirlpool the wort with a sanitized spoon. Then after the wort has chilled, siphon into the fermenter, being sure to splash a lot, or aeriate. Then pitch your yeast and "let 'er fly."

:mug:

So you carry the 15 gallon pot in? Whew...you must be strong! :tank:

I think I'll try to transfer to fermenter outside. I've got an immersion cooler and I can get a new hose to go to the lead, just in case. Now all I have to do is get a few cinder blocks to raise the cooker!

I don't have any problems brewing outside. I did it all winter up here in the NE, Just had to shovel:) Had a bee or two get in during the boil, just fish em out and keep brewing.

So you carry the 15 gallon pot in? Whew...you must be strong!

I hump my half barrel by myself it's not that bad . . . unless it's actually full (all 15.whatever gallons). I figure the half barrel wieghs probably about 20ish lbs, then about 8lbs per gallon of beer . . . most it should wiegh is about MAYBE 150lbs.

The trick is to have it on a towel if you are gonna slide it across the floor (if you are worried about scratches and scuffs) and make sure the kids, dog, and SWMBO are out of the way.

I admit it isnt fun to hump that thing all over and I am looking forward to it being a bit warmer so I can just fill it up outside but it's not that bad to fill it up inside and move it either.

You can always cover the kettle with a window screen (aluminum, stainless steel, or fiber glass? Let the flaming begin!) Works for me.

Robbw said:
So you carry the 15 gallon pot in? Whew...you must be strong! :tank:

I think I'll try to transfer to fermenter outside. I've got an immersion cooler and I can get a new hose to go to the lead, just in case. Now all I have to do is get a few cinder blocks to raise the cooker!

Yeah now that it's getting warmer I can hook up a hose outside, too. I had to carry mine in all winter cuz the hose would freeze, not to mention turning my garage & driveway into an ice rink. My ten gallon batch of Nut Brown was a heavy mutha-especially lifting onto the countertop next to the sink! Hence the name Bust a Nut Brown Ale.:eek:

I brew outside and I have had few problems. Once there was a bird's nest in the eve of my house and I worried about the birds dive bombing my brew but they never did. I kept a lid propped on my brew kettle that day.:eek:

Covering your brew when it is boiling do increase the odds of a boil over and also increases the chance of fusel alcohols being produced and retained in the beer. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but that is my understanding.

This is the weekend that I'm going to do my first outside batch. I'll keep you posted!:rockin:

mezman said:
mmmmmMMMM........Critter Beer........

Yea If I have the option I'll brew during the day. At night, every moth and bug for miles is attracted to the lights, and have a tendency to get too close to where Im brewing. Not fatalities yet, but I can see it happening

I've had a moth or two land in the brew before. If it's boiling or even well above 150F then you'll probably be fine. You shouldn't cover it while boiling because bad tasting compounds (DMS anyone?) are cooked off...

Back