Oxygen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abrayton

Reaction score
Without the equipment to oxygenate wort, which of the following would be a more effective method:
1. Shaking carboy
2. Vigorous pouring between two buckets
3. Other?

You won't get more than 8ppm unless you use pure oxygen regardless of how you introduce the "oxygen" from the open air. The method you should choose is the one that doesn't break anything (yourself or the carboy). Can get 8ppm by shaking for about 5 minutes.

You don't have to worry about adding pure oxygen unless you are making a big beer.

Do the bucket method, it's a lot easier to handle the buckets with handles than it is shaking a glass disaster waiting to happen.

Liquid or dry yeast? Per Danstar, you don't need to aerate. I pour the wort into the fermenter from shoulder high and it foams up nicely. Using dry yeast I get 80 - 85% attenuation.

I've always used the shake method, no problems. Once or twice I've forgot, no problems. Unless you are making a big beer, I doubt you'll have an issue with either one, or doing nothing.

Without the equipment to oxygenate wort, which of the following would be a more effective method:
1. Shaking carboy
2. Vigorous pouring between two buckets
3. Other?

4. It depends...

What are you using for yeast? With a healthy pitch rate of properly rehydrated dry yeast, the method (or lack thereof) may not make much of a difference because the yeast comes packaged with a good head start on the nutrients it will need for the job. On the other hand, if you are pitching liquid yeast, it would probably really benefit quite a bit from an O2 boost early on.

Short of using pure O2, as was mentioned earlier, you won't get above about 8ppm O2 no matter whether you shake, pour, jump, roll, and/or pray. So if you feel like you need to add air, pick whichever is easiest for you.

Well I suppose that qualifies as a "big beer", to say the least. Shaking is fairly equivalent to oxygenation according to the brulosophy exbeeriment linked below. If you don't have pure o2, you might want to at least attempt to get to that 8ppm mark by shaking for a few minutes.

http://brulosophy.com/2015/07/13/wort-aeration-pt-2-shaken-vs-pure-oxygen-exbeeriment-results/

I was going to post this too. I found these aeration exbeeriments interesting. It goes against everything we are told as a new brewer. I believe he did one without aerating at all and got similar results. I shake now but do want to go to pure o2.

Back