Paint-ball gas tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT2sum

Reaction score
Since I'm making plans to get into kegging, and bottling with a beer gun, I've got more questions:

I bought a couple of paint-ball gas tanks at the flea market for using when I start to keg. I've read they work good when you want to go mobile with a jockey box - but now I've been told that they contain some sort of oil (to lubricate the paint-ball gun, I guess). I'm pretty sure that they will need to be re-certified, but is it worth it versus buying new tanks?

So, my question is; does anyone know a way that you can clean out any oil or other stuff in them, or did I just waste $5 on a couple of boat anchors?

If they come with oil in them for using for paint-ball, can you just buy empty, clean ones that have never had oil in them?

I have been playing paintball for over 10 years and I have never heard of oil in the tanks. However if the tanks are out of date they will need to be hydro tested and that is more expensive than just buying new ones.

Another paintball player here, there should not be oil in the tanks, never experienced that. Maybe the person meant that the thread lubricant on the valve threads, I use a silicone-based grease that may not be foodsafe. Cleaning that off shouldn't be too much of a problem.

3rd paintballer here - worked in the industry for YEARS - the oil in tanks is an old myth. Nothing to worry about. However, if they are out of Hydro, may as well toss them and buy new ones. Re-hydro would probably be the same as a new tank price

might as well 4th that. people do put oil in there ASA sometimes (I did with my automags) (never with air tanks, as oil in HPA tanks will cause them to diesel and explode.

might as well 4th that. people do put oil in there ASA sometimes (I did with my automags) (never with air tanks, as oil in HPA tanks will cause them to diesel and explode.

Ahh Automags...darn things are indestructible - considering building another one now as well as a new Autococker to show the kids around here what real markers are

Ahh Automags...darn things are indestructible - considering building another one now as well as a new Autococker to show the kids around here what real markers are

it'd be nice (I still have a few cockers around (dye, eclipse and wgp), but I don't know if the kids today appreciate the old stuff. I moved onto spool valves, 90 psi, 300fps, 20bps and quieter than my tuned cockers .. (at my age, quantity over quality).

it'd be nice (I still have a few cockers around (dye, eclipse and wgp), but I don't know if the kids today appreciate the old stuff. I moved onto spool valves, 90 psi, 300fps, 20bps and quieter than my tuned cockers .. (at my age, quantity over quality).

Well if you ever decide to let those cockers go PM me! I've had about 20 of them, all the way up to a Nexus, that I've bought and sold twice. Mag's I've had countless - even built an EgoMag at one point with eyes. I just can't get used to spools, they are just too darned smooth for me, had geo's, dm's, and even my last was a Clone GTi - they just lack the soul of the old school i guess.

Well if you ever decide to let those cockers go PM me! I've had about 20 of them, all the way up to a Nexus, that I've bought and sold twice. Mag's I've had countless - even built an EgoMag at one point with eyes. I just can't get used to spools, they are just too darned smooth for me, had geo's, dm's, and even my last was a Clone GTi - they just lack the soul of the old school i guess.

I'll give you that, they don't have soul, but the cockers I have left you are going to have to get from my kids and they get the estate. Yes, one is a just a 2k2 reflex, the eclipse is a late 90's evo, (so not sexy) and the wgp's i bought right when they went on clearance, so 06? picked up a few 05's prostocks and one superstock. they are still bnib. probably leak....

Thanks all, I'll see if there is a date on them, but if I wasted 5 bucks, at least I got the ammo can for a booby prize! If they're out of date, I'll sell them for scrap - at least it sounds like I can safely buy new ones, charged up or not, without worrying about some kind of oil.
I appreciate all the responses - you guys have fun in the woods shooting at each other, I'll just stay on the porch and have a homebrew! :mug:

I'll give you that, they don't have soul, but the cockers I have left you are going to have to get from my kids and they get the estate. Yes, one is a just a 2k2 reflex, the eclipse is a late 90's evo, (so not sexy) and the wgp's i bought right when they went on clearance, so 06? picked up a few 05's prostocks and one superstock. they are still bnib. probably leak....

Good man - I plan to rebuild the collection now that I've gotten a nice new promotion and can afford to talk myself back into it. I "retired" last year because I'm too old and fat, but I really miss it. Now that I see Simon from Inception Designs is re-making the Predator cocker...yea I'm gonna have to get back in.

you guys have fun in the woods shooting at each other, I'll just stay on the porch and have a homebrew! :mug:

Woods?? this is more my speed -

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought you guys always played these games in the woods - WOW, those matches look intense! I had no idea that paintball was so well organized ... It looks like a young person's game, so I'm 50 years out of it! Kudos to you young folk. :D
I'll definitely stay on the porch and have a homebrew! Stay safe!!

I thought you guys always played these games in the woods - WOW, those matches look intense! I had no idea that paintball was so well organized ... It looks like a young person's game, so I'm 50 years out of it! Kudos to you young folk. :D
I'll definitely stay on the porch and have a homebrew! Stay safe!!

The woods and scenario games are also pretty fun, but tournaments were my big thing. I absolutely love the sport, there's a niche of the sport that works for just about everyone! I highly suggest everyone play at least once.

The woods and scenario games are also pretty fun, but tournaments were my big thing. I absolutely love the sport, there's a niche of the sport that works for just about everyone! I highly suggest everyone play at least once.
From what I saw, I'm a little bit long in the tooth to be doing that .... I'd much rather go out with the .22 cal single shot and shoot rabbits, squirrels, crows, etc., but I don't even do that anymore! I'd rather stay home, watch old '40's, '50's and '60's movies from when I was young, while brewing another experimental Porter, IPA, or Stout (Still looking for the 'perfect' three to keep on hand at all times), and suck on a Pig's Ass - (I'm still working on a clone for that) - I've got close, but just not quite there for me!
Harvest Moon Brewing, Belt, MT

I play all, was a stand in for national team for speedball, but played very recreational. woods, speedball, whatever, it's all angles and angles.

I may play again, i may not.

pbexplosion in west dundee is my homefield. but we have cpx in joliet as well. 2 amazing fields

I play all, was a stand in for national team for speedball, but played very recreational. woods, speedball, whatever, it's all angles and angles.

I may play again, i may not.

pbexplosion in west dundee is my homefield. but we have cpx in joliet as well. 2 amazing fields

Ohh man I'm jealous - both of those fields are awesome.

Back