Partial mash questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So far I have only brewed extract and extract with steeping grains... I have done a few kits and a few recipes off here. I want to move up to partial mashes. Is there any place specific that I can go to get an explanation of the process? I saw a sticky for batch sparging, is that what I would be doing?

Also at the end of last summer I came across a 5gal Rubbermaid drink cooler and I'm wondering if I convert this to a mash tun would it be big enough for 5 gal batches doing partial mash?

Thanks in advance for any direction & sorry sorry if I'm just failing with the search function!

I know we have a "partial mash" sticky that can help answer any questions: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

Using a cooler makes it easier, in my opinion. You can do a partial mash in that cooler, but since it holds about 12 pounds of grain, you can also do all-grain with it as well so it's a good size for you.

Partial mash is a great way to go. It means buying less extract, so it's cheaper, and makes a better fresher tasting beer.

I would preheat the cooler with some very hot (but not boiling) water, then use 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain, with the water about 11 degrees higher than desired mash temp (normally 152/153). stir very very well, and then let sit for an hour. After the hour is over, drain, and then add your sparge water. Your sparge water is however much you need to reach your boil volume, so if you tell us the boil volume and the recipe you want to use we can be more specific.

That's about it- it's just like steeping in technique, really, in many ways so you should have no issues.

You do need a good accurate thermometer, otherwise you don't really need anything else special.

Yes, 5g mash ton is plenty big enough for partial mashing 5g batches, heck, some guys even do all-grain in them but there are beers you'll have a hard time making in that mash tun with all grain.

The easiest way to mash period is BIAB. It's much like steeping grains except you'd use a larger bag (paint strainer from Home Depot works fine) and you want to hold a specific temperature for an hour via wrapping the kettle with blankets and possible applying heat, if absolutely necessary (don't burn your blankets!). Once the mash is done you can have another pot of water heated up to about 180 and either pour that over the grain bag or dunk the grain bag in that second pot (provided there is room so it doesn't overflow). This is, in essence, your sparge (rinsing remaining sugars from mashed grain).

Then you'd add the two volumes of liquid together in the larger pot and begin the boil/finish as you would any recipe, adding hops at intervals, extract when appropriate, etc.

Thanks for the quick responses! So far I've been doing 3gal boils on my stove top & then topping off, I don't have a specific recipe in mind just yet. Basically planning for if I need any other gear before I pursue moving up. Ill look into an accurate thermometer and the large paint strainer bag.

A larger kettle would be advisable, especially if you want to go all grain at some point. Ideally I'd want a 9g or larger. Scaleability is something you'll be thankful for later

For that I will need to wait for a propane burner, 3 gal is about the max I can feasibly do on my stovetop. I've been looking into that for later on down the line :)

Back